Author Topic: 93rd highlanders circa 1810 McIntosh  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Joan skrzypczak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
93rd highlanders circa 1810 McIntosh
« on: Tuesday 02 September 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
I have a great grandfather born in 1810, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa: David McIntosh who emigrated to Canada. In the Canadian records it says he was born where his father was stationed with the 93rd Highlanders.  Can any one assist with records that might assist with finding his parents?  Would his father be high ranking? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Offline Barbara Ward

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: 93rd highlanders circa 1810 McIntosh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
Was his father Donald?  I have a Statement of Service for a Donald Macintosh who may be a relative of my 3 x Great Grandfather, John McIntosh also in the 93rd. He lost a leg at the Battle of New Orleans. The Donald I have was injured in 1815 before New Orleans.  If you Google "Concise History of the 93rd Sutherland Highland Regiment" you will get dates etc.  Any use?

Offline Chrisvp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
I have a Donald MacIntosh Born about 1766 Sutherland and died about 1850 Dornoch, Sutherland.
He was in the 93rd and was wounded in the West Indies. His son Donald was born in Dornoch 1821 and came to Canada Approximately 1834 with many of his family. Maybe there is a connection?
MacIntosh
MacKenzie
MacDonald
Murray
Simmons/Simmonds
Pincott

Offline Hayhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
93rd records. As a general rule 1 wife out of every 100 men were allowed to follow their husbands in the 93rd, this allowed them 1/2 army food allowance. Other women could follow as camp followers, but got no rations. They did washing, cooking , mending, and caring. The records are a bit patchy for this early period. It may be worth looking at the army Births and marriage Records. You could try Stirling Castle as they hold some patchy records too. Kew would possible hold medical records and discharge papers. As the battle of New Orleans was 1815 he would also be entitled to an army pension. I have some information from Kew regarding the men and some families on the transport ships going to New Orleans. Unfortunately they give no information about the specific casualties.
Kay Henderson