Author Topic: ADAMS family - Christchurch and nearby  (Read 4051 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ADAMS family - Christchurch and nearby
« on: Thursday 04 September 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what became of my two great aunts and a bit more about their husbands.:

Ada Lucy Derham born Highcliffe in 1883 married William John Adams in 1901. William was born in Hinton Admiral in 1879. Have found what is probably his birth reg in Christchurch district.

Ada's sister Annie Louisa Derham born Highcliffe 1888 married Alfred George Adams in 1909.

I have found a death for a William John Adams in 1933 which would match birth year. Also a probate record for what look like the same man. Probate is granted to a Frank Alfred Grigg, who doesn't seem to be related.

I can't find either Mr Adams on any census prior to their marriages and no birth registration for Alfred George in Hampshire, although several possibilities in other counties, so I doubt they were brothers.

I have found several children for both couples, including 4 born post 1912, where mother's maiden name is shown, which could belong to either couple. I am sure the child born in 1924 belonged to Annie, because she would be my mother's exact contemporary, and she mentioned playing with her Adams cousin when she visited Auntie Nan. (I assume Nan more likely to be diminutive of Annie than Ada. )

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ADAMS family - Christchurch and nearby
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Would be worth getting a copy of the Will as he may leave bequests to his children and they you know which ones are his. Be good if he left bequests to his nieces and nephews too!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not really convinced he's the right one. I 've found a likely candidate for the Frank Alfred Grigg. A Frank A Grigg died in Bournemouth reg district in 1956 aged 88. Calculating birth year as abt 1868, there is a Frank Alfred Grigg birth reg St Thomas district (Devon) and a Frank Alfred Grigg married in Chard district in 1889.
In 1891 Frank and wife Jane E and son are living in St Thomas dist, but by 1901 they have moved to Gladstone road, Boscombe. Frank's pob is Exmouth, Jane's is Ilminster (in Chard reg district area). One of the possible brides on the marriage entry is Jane Elizabeth Crocker, so that all fits. Frank is a carpenter on both censuses, so could be a builder by 1933.

I have now found about 17 William John Adams born in the time period to be right age at death in 1933 and one is also born in St Thomas district. So I'm now more inclined to think it might be him and not my great uncle.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Returned to this family again. I have found birth of a William John Adams reg Christchurch district Q2 1879, mother's mn Evans. Also a George Alfred reg Q4 1881 and Samuel Edward Q3 1876 both with mmn Evans. There is a marriage for Alfred Joseph Adams in Q2 1875 , one of the possible brides is Elizabeth Evans and a death for Alfred Joseph Adams age 28 in Q1 1881 - all Christchurch district. Just possible to father George Alfred just before his death.

So two more possible children to look for and the oldest should also be on 1881 census, probably with the recently widowed Elizabeth, if I have the right marriage and this is all one family.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for an Elizabeth Adams Q3 1883, possible groom surnames Argent and Hiscock. No children with surname Argent mmn Evans, But there is an Amela Rose Hiscock birth reg Q3 1884 with mmn Evans. Now to find them in 1891.

added
Looks like Amelia died before 1891

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

[ AMENDED to clarify ]

Just in case . . . . . .

1881 Hinton Highcliff RG11 / 1193 / 66 /34
Elizabeth Adams 26 Widow Somerset
Ellen 7          { all born Hinton)
Edward 5
William 2

GRO give mmn to the children as Dyer

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks I don't think this is the one, but I have found a few children with mmn Dyer at the same time as the mmn Evans ones. One was George Alfred James, similar name to one of the Adams / Evans children, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that this Adams family is related to the one I'm looking for as they are also in Hinton

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage of a James Adams in Christchurch district Q4 1868, one possible bride is Ellen Dyer not Elizabeth.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just in case . . . . . .

1881 Hinton Highcliff RG11 / 1193 / 66 /34
Elizabeth (Dyer?) Adams 26 Widow Somerset
Ellen 7          { all born Hinton)
Edward 5
William 2

Ray

Just found image, it doesn't have Dyer on it, so they could be the ones I'm looking for, if the youngest son died or was being looked after elsewhere. I will have to look for daughter Ellen now.

added silly me, the youngest wasn't born until later in 1881, it was the father died in Q1, Ellen's stated age would make her birth before Elizabeth Evans' marriage, but I can't find an Ellen Evans registered in Christchurch