Author Topic: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)  (Read 42141 times)

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic - Links to The Forster Family
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 April 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Don't be silly, that's why we're here, because we love it.

Ann Baty or Batey was the niece of Frances Forster.

We can explore this further:

David Barron 1785-1846 married at St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1807, FRANCES FORSTER 1786-1863 (of Watch Currock-Tyne Mercury Newspaper Feb 1807). Witnesses: William Barron & William Thompson.

Thomas Forster 1729-1804 a Catholic yeoman farmer of Watch Currock Farm, Hexham married at St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1765, Ann Bell 1741-1813.

Thomas Forster 1729-1804 is a descendent of the Catholic Forster family listed in The County History of Northumberland (1897) who's ancestry can be traced back to Robert Forster, yeoman farmer of Upper Eshells Farm, Hexham (1670). Ann Bell 1741-1813 is a descendent of the extended Bell Family of Hexhamshire, both however are discussions for another forum.

Ann Forster, widow, of Watch Currock, Hexham died in 1813 and left a Will at York in which she mentions daughters, Ann Armstrong, Elizabeth Forster (married woman, wife of George Forster), Mary Hutchinson, MARGERY BATY, Jane Kirsopp, Dorothy Hall, Margaret Forster and FRANCES BARRON.

Despite all 8 daughters mentioned only baptismal records for 4 have survived. They are:

i)   Ann Forster , baptised 1766 at Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham.
ii)  Jane Forster, baptised 1775 at The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham.
iii) Margaret Forster , baptised 1780 at The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham.
iv) FRANCES FORSTER, baptised 1786 at The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham.

The daughters in Ann Forster's Will are all mentioned in order of age, MARGERY BATY (nee:Forster) was born between 1766 and 1775.

John Baty, a Slater 1766-1839 married at St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1790, MARGERY FORSTER 1771-1835.

Their children were:

i)     Edward Baty, baptised St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1792.
ii)    ANN BATY, baptised St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1794.
iii)   Thomas Baty, baptised St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1796.
iv)   Elizabeth Baty, baptised The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham 1800.
v)   Jane Baty, baptised The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham 1801.
vi)   John Baty, baptised St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1808.
vii)  William Baty, baptised St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1812.
viii) Isaac Baty, baptised St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1815.

MARGERY BATY (nee: Forster) died age 64 at Hexham in 1835 which gives an approximate birth year of 1771.

William Barron 1786-1847 married at St Andrew's CoE, Hexham 1813, ANN BATY 1794-1832. Witnesses: Robert Bell & John Brown.

William Barron 1786-1847 and David Barron 1785-1846 were brother's.

John Baty, Slater died age 73 at Hexham in 1839. He left Administration at Durham in which children, Edward Baty, Thomas Baty, Elizabeth Wilson, Jane Baty, John Baty, William Baty, and Issac Baty are mentioned.

ANN BARRON (nee:Baty) died age 38 at Newbrough in 1832 which gives an approximate birth year of 1794. (she is not mentioned in her father's Administration in 1839 because she had died)

William Barron and Ann Baty had 9 children together, the sponsors of their children at baptism help us further to link everything in.

i) George Barron baptised Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham 1814. Sponsors: George Barron (grandfather) and Margery Baty (grandmother)
ii) John Barron baptised Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham 1816. Sponsors: Christopher Hamilton and Ann Forster (mother's cousin)
iii) Edward Barron baptised Stonecroft R.C Chapel, Newbrough 1818. Sponsors: George Barron (grandfather) and Mary Barron (grandmother)
iv) David Barron baptised The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham 1820. Sponsors: Edward Dobson (relative) and Elizabeth Forster (great aunt)
v) William Barron baptised The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham 1822. Sponsors: Matthew Barker and Jane Baty (aunt)
vi) Mary Ann Barron baptised The Dominican R.C Chapel, Hexham 1824. Sponsors: George Taylor and Jane Baty (aunt)
vii) Margery Barron baptised Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham 1826. Sponsors: George Taylor and Elizabeth Forster (great aunt)
viii) Thomas Barron baptised Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham 1829. Sponsors: James Bell and Elizabeth Johnson.
ix) Jane Barron baptised Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham 1831. Sponsors: John Armstrong (relative) and Isabella Usher.

Hope all this helps.

I was also interested to hear about the hardware background of John Lancelot Crozier/Barron. His uncle, Anthony Forster Barron 1819-1880 was listed as a haberdasher in the last few years of his life. Another link?

Cheers
Patrick

Offline johnlancelotcrozier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
The problem is I'm hooked - it's like a drug - and I don't only look into one family - I have four on the go!  Jack of all master of none!

Thanks for all of that Patrick - it makes it very much clearer and yes I was on the very wrong road, wasn't I?  I don't know how I got Ann Baty/Batey linked up with David Barron 1785 when it should have been his brother William Barron 1786 - too much wine perhaps!

Please don't tell me you remembered all that!

I'm going to look a bit deeper into the John Crozier and Barron family relationship.

Regards and keep up the excellent work - you truly are a master of the Barron family!

Ray

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Just some more thought's on George Barron, Anthony F Barron and John L Crozier

Assuming John's mother had died. George Barron as a retired Police Superintendent in receipt of a pension would probably cut a respectable figure in society, therefore to publicly acknowledge his illegitimate son by bringing him into his own home may have been considered 'outwardly' as something of a scandal, or an affront to his wife (despite the fact that everybody probably knew anyway). George's brother Anthony was doing well in trade at that time as a Cabinet Maker, Furniture Dealer (probably better than any of the other family members), and I wonder if George came to some form of arrangement with him (possibly financial) to take John in, raise him and instruct him in his trade. Or maybe, when John turned 14 his father simply sent him off to be apprenticed to his uncle Anthony to learn the trade of Cabinet Maker.

Patrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting but nowhere on any census is John Crozier listed as a Cabinet Maker or an apprentice CM.

In 1841 Census, John Crosier is just 3 years old living with his mother Jane Crosier and his aunt Ann in Lower Friar Street, Newcastle.

1851 Census, age is listed as 12/13.  He is in the Union Workhouse, Newcastle - his mother Jane having died in 1850.

We know from newspaper reports that by 1852 he is living with his Uncle Anthony Forster Barron and Anthony's wife Ann F B (nee Pearson).  Am I correct in thinking that someone would have had to get him out of the workhouse or could he have left when reaching a certain age?

In August 1859 he married Janet Maria Gray at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Newcastle.  Both did not give their correct age.  No Barron family members were witnesses, these being a Susan Doyle and an Elizabeth Blight or Bright.

1861 Census, John Crozier is living with his wife Janet (Jessie) nee Gray/Grey and his first son John GEORGE Crozier who was 10 months old, at 2 West Clayton Street listed as a Boot & Shoe Shop & House.  John's occupation is listed as a House & Sign Painter.  His first son, John George was born 5th June 1860 and Baptised in St Mary's Catholic Church on 4th April 1861.  He died the last quarter of 1862.

In 1863 his eldest daughter, Jane Maria Crozier was born in Newcastle.

January 1864, John Crozier, painter, is in court charged with stealing from the Theatre Royal, Newcastle, along with a relative of his wife, George Alexander Gray also a painter.

They both received prison sentences in March 1864, John 3 months and George 1 month, both with hard labour.

We know that John Crozier's next child, Julia Isabella Mary was born in London in 1865 so we can assume that he had made the move to London by this time.

1871 Census, John Crozier is still a House Painter living in Florence Street, Islington, London.  George Barron - his father dies in August 1871 and by the 1881 Census, John Crozier is listed as a Gentleman.  His wife, Janet Maria is not on this census as she is now living with a man named Charles Maple.

Over the years, John Crozier bought many leasehold properties in the area and rented them out.  He died in 1906 leaving a considerable sum to his only son, Arthur Alexander Crozier, around £353 thousand in today's money.

He obviously learnt a lot from his his uncle Anthony but I don't think cabinet making was one of them.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 02 January 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick

May I wish you a very Happy 2017!

Hope all is well.  Any fantastic updates re the Barron's?

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Barron Family of Hexham, Haltwhistle & Newbrough (part 1)
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 26 May 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my family tree and currently researching the Barron family.

My 4th great-grandfather is Anthony forster/foster Barron. I was shocked but also intrigued to learn about his past and the things he had gotten up to reading this forum. I can only seem to find two newspaper reports on him, one with the robbery with his wife Ann and the other where his mistress was ran over by a cart. I can also only find one criminal record of him that is labelled as ''assault with intent to
perish''.

If anyone could point me in the direction as to where I would find documentation of his criminal activity or newspaper reports I would be hugely grateful.

Many thanks

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Anthony F Barron certainly lived a well documented life.

I posted a chronology on page 3 of this forum concerning Anthony F Barron, including his criminal activities on 3/11/2014 14:46GMT. Next to each misdemeaner I referenced the date and newspaper source, you can find these newspapers in Newcastle City Library or on http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Hope this helps and good luck.

Patrick

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick reply Patrick  :)

And sorry I missed the references in your post!

I've searched the website you linked and I can only seem to find the two articles I stated in my previous post.

Is there any way of getting them without actually going to Newcastle?