Author Topic: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)  (Read 42190 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Patrick! Thank you for the response, altho it wasn't what I was hoping for! I'll keep digging in hopes of finding out more about Elizabeth. If I find anything more, I'll post it here! Thanks. patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline johnlancelotcrozier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 10 January 19 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Patrick and a very happy 2019.

Just perusing records and noticed in the UK City & County Directories of 1858 there is a George Barron, Furniture Broker at 3 Clayton Street and Anthony Forster Barron at 5 Clayton Street.

I just wondered if this George Barron is Anthony's brother and therefore John Lancelot Crozier's father?

Hope all is well.

Regards
Ray

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 12 January 19 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray

We know from various trade directories that Anthony F Barron was working out of 5-7 Clayton Street in 1858 before becoming insolvent in 1859 when he is mentioned in newspapers as the manager of John Lancelot Barrow(?), who was working from the same address.

From the records we have, John L Crozier's father, George Barron (1808-71), retired Police Superintendent, was residing at Crofton Cottage, Blyth, Northumberland, but this doesn't mean that he couldn't have had a business interest in a furniture store in Newcastle at 3 Clayton Street? Given the proximity and the family connection I don't see anybody else it could be other than John L  Crozier's father?

It's another of those strange twists that we're getting used to.

Best wishes
Patrick B

Offline Gregory Alexander Crozier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
John,
I was only looking today at my Great Grandfather's will and wondering how he was industrious enough to bequeath the 33 properties in Islington to my Grandfather.  So I googled him and found this link. 

My father, also an Arthur Alexander turned 90 this year and because his father died when he was 6 (in 1935) he's only had second hand knowledge from the older of his 7 (that we know about) now deceased siblings about their dad.

My father has already handed down to me the title of the grave of John Lancelot Crozier which he bought in 1869 to bury the first of the other three daughters buried at Kensal Green cemetery with him.

Any questions about our side of the family I'm happy to answer, if I can; my Grandmother is the first cousin of Fly, as she was known, the musical 'star' (Arthur Alexander Crozier senior's first wife) who I met when a boy as they (strangely) lived in the same family house in Croxted Road, Herne Hill, South East London.

I've failed to attach the Proof of Purchase of the grave which has some intrinsic value as the cemetery recently raised the ground by 6 foot giving us a further two graves which are very sought after!

Greg.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg

Just got notification that you contacted this Roots Chat.  Have been here for a few years now and have learnt a lot about your Barron family.  As you are probably aware - you are really a Barron and NOT a Crozier - Patrick who created this chat knows a great deal about the Barrons.

I would suggest that you go right back to the beginning and read all the posts - by the way I am Ray - Ray from Rustington - Edward and Ray - Edward's your cousin.  If you want I can help you quite a lot as have been doing this for several years.  If you read through the posts you will learn quite a lot about the Crozier/Barron family.

I used John Lancelot Barron as a username as he never seemed to use it again after his marriage.

Take care

Ray x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Also Greg

I must ask, why do you say 'strange' that Fly and Mabel lived in the same house, they were cousins, and Mabel was your grandfather's lover having several children out of wedlock - I will tell you the story if you want - surprised your own father hasn't.

There are some very sad  stories in the Crozier family - ever heard of 'poor Jessie' who was your father's aunt?

Anyway take care Greg - love to Jane and family from us both.

Ray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Ray,
Stupid of me I should have read the first page of the trail!  Mum said you'd done some comprehensive digging around!

Just by chance I had a good read of the Will last night and when dad mentioned that Lancelot was his middle name I thought if there was any anything about him, it would come up in google.

Yes, I've heard about Jessie, the fourth daughter, who spent her life in the institution and died there in the 70's(?), buried in the grounds that no one spoke of. 

Best wishes and hopefully catch up soon,

Greg.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 07 November 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg

You were asking a particular question about how your Great Grandfather suddenly went from a House Painter in 1871 to owning tons of properties in Islington and in the 1881 Census he is a Gentleman with loads of ackers!  His wife by then had left him for a Charles Maple with whom she had more children so you have even more relatives.

If you have read through the posts here one can only speculate as to where all this money came from.  His father, George Barron, became a Police Superintendent, after which in the 1871 he is retired and listed as being a Shipowner.  We also know from newspaper advertising that George Barron gave mortgages to people to buy properties.

So John Lancelot Crozier is George's only son - he had no other children.  We know for sure that John was George's son because in the early 1850s he is living with his uncle Anthony Forster Barron, George's younger brother and this is confirmed by newspaper reports when John along with his uncle and aunt were arrested and charged with stealing.  John said that Anthony was his uncle.

John and his Uncle were found not guilty but his aunt, Anthony Forster Barron's wife was imprisoned with hard labour?

So the question is, when George Barron died how much did he leave and to whom did he leave it?  There was very little in the Will which was left to his wife.  We may wonder where did his 'real' money go?  Supposedly he was a shipowner and a person offering mortgages to people to purchase properties.  Might this, as I surmise, been given to his son John for them both to prosper at some time in the future, who knows for sure?

Jessie Prudence - Her husband and eldest son, both named Edward Robert, disappear from our lives after the 1901 Census although Senior is mentioned in Electoral lists until about 1902.  In the 1911 Census Jessie writes - against her sons name, 'abroad'.  Have searched forever for them both but have not been able to find them.  Suspect they may have gone to South America as Edward Robert senior was a butcher.  If you are willing to accept this assignment, your job is to find out what actually happened to them!  :)

Hope all is well and your father is okay.  We did speak to mum a little while ago.

All best wishes R & E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 08 November 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Ray,
Great summary of Barron/ Crozier history over the past 150 years! 

I know Peter Hession was also investigating the family tree, I wondered whether he has come to the same conclusions?

Is there a George Barron marriage certificate available, my father was asking if a copy exists?

Thanks again, Greg.

p.s. have we any idea how Arthur Alexander Crozier senior managed to squander the equivalent of  350K + the capital in 33 properties?  My mother said he only eat Dover Sole for dinner which indicates a slightly extravagant if not eccentric diet.  Jack, Fly's son, once said to my father when he asked about their dad, that it was best he didn't know!