Author Topic: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)  (Read 42099 times)

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)
« on: Thursday 04 September 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
   Over the past year I have focussed intensely upon the Barron Family of Hexham and wish to share my research. 

I have traced my ancestry back to my gggg grandparents David Barron & Frances Forster who were married at Hexham, Northumberland in January 1807. The witnesses at the marriage were William Barron and William Thompson.

In February of that year David & Frances later had their marriage vows at the Cockshaw, RC Chapel, Hexham, they had 13 children who were baptised in the various RC Chapels at Hexham as well as Cheeseburn Grange RC, St Andrew's RC, Newcastle upon Tyne and Ministeracres RC.Their children are:

George Barron 1808-1871, Chief of Police at North Shields 1840-49, married 1844 Ellen Brewis.
Ann Barron 1809-1869, married 1834 Michael Young.
Thomas Barron 1811-1865, Police Constable & Brewer, married 1839 Isabella Guthrie.
William Barron 1813-1892, Police Constable & Farmer, married 1840 Margaret Crosier.
David Barron 1814-1876, Beer House Keeper & Career Criminal, married 3 times.
Mary Barron 1816-1841.
Margaret Barron 1818-1903, married 1841 Henry Forrest.
Anthony Forster Barron 1819-1880, Cabinet Maker, married twice.
John Barron 1821-1868, Cabinet Maker, married 1845 Ellen Murphy.
Frances Barron 1822-1862, married 1845 George Hepper.
Elizabeth Barron 1824-?
Joseph Thompson Barron 1826-1849, Cabinet Maker.
Robert Barron 1830, infant.

David Barron died at Newcastle upon Tyne in April 1846, however due to the limitations of the 1841 census his birthplace is not listed. However, his marriage, the baptisms of his children and his own burial suggest a Catholic background.

It may be recalled that a witness at David's wedding in 1807 was William Barron, throughout the baptism of his children this name occurs as well as that of George Barron, Mary Barron and Ann Baty.

At Hexham in 1813, William Barron married Ann Baty, their 9 children were baptised in the Catholic chapels in Hexham; their children were:

George Barron 1814-1853, Innkeeper, married 1835 Jane Scott.
John Barron 1816-? Innkeeper.
Edward Barron 1818-1846, Draper. Married.
David Barron 1820-1884, Police Constable, married 1840 Catherine Davison.
William Barron 1822-1833.
Mary Ann Barron 1824-1841.
Margery Barron 1826-1835.
Thomas Barron 1828-1846.
Jane Barron 1830-?

The registers tell us that David & Frances Barron and William & Ann Barron, lived at Hexham, Haltwhistle, Ponteland and Newbrough, before migrating to Newcastle upon Tyne. The burial register of Westgate Hill Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne clearly shows a close relationship between the two families as the records state that both families are buried with the other in 13 different graves, side by side with each other during the period 1841-1880.

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
   It is possible to find further evidence of the kinship of David & William Barron and go further back into the family history.

David Barron & Frances Forster were married at Hexham in January 1807. However the Tyne Mercury newspaper of that month gives a very important piece of evidence in the marriage announcements that takes us further back:

‘..at Hexham, Mr David Barron, farmer, of the Snape to Miss Forster of Watch Currock’.

A trip to Northumberland Archives and a look at the Land Tax records tell us that from 1805-1813 the occupier of Snape Farm at Hexham is George Barron.

Cheeseburn Grange RC baptism register tells us that his son David was baptised there 13/3/1785:

‘..David Barron, the legitimate son of George & Mary Barron’.
The sponsors were David Barron of Dodley Farm and Ann Barron.

In exploring this further we find that George Barron 1750-1828, married in Falstone, Northumberland in 1784 to Mary Thompson, the witnesses were John Kell and his brother, William Barron 1756-1833. Mary Thompson was most likely a widow, slightly older with her own family. George & Mary had two sons in quick succesion David b1785 and William b1786. Afterwards George is traceable through the Land Tax records. The surviving records are fragmentary but we do know (roughly) that George was the occupier of Low Moralee Farm, Wark, parish of Simonburn. Between 1779-1781. There is a gap in the records, then from 1784-1791 he is ocuppier of Birks Farm, Falstone, parish of Simonburn (the owner was John Kell, who was the second witness at George's marriage in 1784). Another gap, then from 1805-1813 he is occupier of Snape Farm at Hexham. A gap, then from 1817-1827 he is occupier of farmland at Newbrough, which is just outside of Hexham. With old age now descending, from 1822-1827 his 2nd son William is listed at joint occupier. I have been unable to trace a burial for George, (his wife Mary died at Newbrough in 1824 aged 81) but the 1827 Land Tax is his last recorded appearance, 1828 is missing. In 1829 his son William Barron is sole occupier at Newbrough.

William Barron died at Newcastle upon Tyne in 1847 and is buried in Westgate Hill Cemetery in a grave next to his brother David.

The strong kinship between the families of David & William Barron can be explained further.

Frances Barron (Forster) was baptised at The Dominican Chapel, Hexham in 1786, the daughter of Thomas & Ann Forster of Watch Currock Farm. Thomas Forster of Watch Currock died at Hexham in 1804 his  wife Ann died in 1813 and left a Will at York in which she mentions daughters Ann Armstrong, Elizabeth Forster (married woman), Mary Hutchinson, MARGERY BATY, Jane Kirsopp, Dorothy Hall, Margaret Forster and FRANCES BARRON.

The names of the above people and their spouses and children are listed as sponsors throughout the baptisms of the children of both David & Frances Barron and William & Ann Barron (Baty). Furthermore, Ann Barron died at Newbrough in September 1832 aged 38 years making her clearly identifiable as the Ann Baty baptised at Hexham in 1794, daughter of John Baty. John married Margery Forster (1771-1835), elder sister of Frances Barron (Forster) at Hexham in 1790.

In short David Barron's brother, William married his sister in law's niece. Both families are 1st cousins through David & William Barron. Both families are descended from Thomas & Ann Forster of Watch Currock Farm, David & Frances Barron's children are grandchildren whilst William & Ann Barron's children are great grandchildren.

Look forward to hearing any comments.

Regards
Patrick B

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic - The link to Stamfordham
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
 The appearance of William Barron 1756-1833 in Simonburn is an important piece of evidence.  William Barron emigrated to the USA in 1800 with his wife Margery and children. The History of Ontario County: Lewis Cass Aldrich 1893, has a biography of William & Margery’s son David Barron (1800-1895) in which it states:

‘David Barron, Seneca was born in Northumberland County, England, August 15 1800, came to the United States with his parents in 1801, being less than a year old...Mr Barron’s father, William, was born at the old home in England, March 25 1756, and married Margery Wilkinson, of Newcastle in his native country...The father died July 14, 1833, and the mother June 6 1855.’

This information clearly links William Barron baptised March 25 1756 to the same William Barron of Cheeseburn Grange (same date), Stamfordham  son of David & Mary Barron. Furthermore the marriage of William Barron to Margery Wilkinson, St Mungo’s, Simonburn 2/6/1785, staes that William was resident at Birks Farm, Chapelry of Falstone, his brother George’s Farm.

The location of Simonburn appears not to be uncommon for the Barron Family of Stamfordham at this time and they may have had deeper roots there. The 1784 marriage licence of David Barron (1753-1834) to Mary Usher (1757-1832) at Ovingham states that his residence is Low Moralee Farm, Simonburn. The Land Tax tells us that he took over the proprietorship of this farm from his brother, George Barron in 1781, but prior to that he was occupier of Billerley Farm, Simonburn from 1779-1780. It seems upon his marriage in 1784 that he moved back to Stamfordham to Dodley Farm. Interestingly the baptisms register of St Mary the Virgin, Stamfordham 8/4/1790 states

‘...John son of David Barron and Mary his wife, was born at Moralee 15/5/1785 and baptised by a Minister near that place’.

For the record I believe that this chapel ‘near that place was Tone Hall RC, a small chapel 5 miles from Bellingham, Simonburn Parish. It was amalgamated with St Oswalds RC, Bellingham in 1794, and no records have survived for it, but this would account for there being no trace of the above John Barron b1785, it could also account for there being no baptism record of George & Mary Barron’s second son William b1786, and for no baptism records of any of the children of William & Margery Barron, all of which were resident in Simonburn at that time.

Anyway, just wanted to post the discovery of George Barron 1750-1828 and his descendents. Hope this helps. Look forward to any comments

Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stamfordham - The Barron Family
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
David Barron (1714-1796) remarried at Stamfordham in 1773 to Eleanor Holmes. She died in 1814 aged 84 and is buried at Stamfordham.

Just some comments on the other children of David (1714-1796) & Mary (1722-1769) Barron of Stamfordham.

The eldest, John Barron 1746-1819 was born, married and died at Stamfordham and farmed his whole life within sight of Cheeseburn Grange Manor. At various times he is listed as farmer, land agent and even butler (I think more likely some kind of right hand man for Ralph Riddell and not the black suited type).

Margaret Barron 1748-? married John Neavings, a mason, at Stamfordham in 1774. Their children (thus far traced) were John b1775, William b1777 and Margaret b1783. After 1783 I have found no trace of John & Margaret Neavings or any of their children. My theory is that like her brother William they too may have emigrated?

David Barron 1753-1834, returned to Stamfordham from Simonburn before 1788 and therein farmed for the remainder of his life at Dodley Farm, his children's baptisms are detailed throughout Cheeseburn Grange R.C.

Joseph Barron 1759-1828 is still something of a mystery. After his baptism there is nothing until his burial at Stamfordham which states he was of Edington Farm, Mitford.

Likewise for Mary Barron 1761-1825 she married William Chicken of Corbridge, Northumberland at Stamfordham in 1794. She is buried at Stamfordham, residence is listed as Gateshead. Interestingly when George Barron was occupier of Newbrough Farm 1817-1828, the Land Tax states William Chicken is listed as the owner, however it is not clear at this stage if this William Chicken is the same. 

Thomas Barron 1763-1846 married age 42 to Mary Moody who was near 20 years younger, on 22/4/1805 St Andrew's Church of England, Hexham, Northumberland. One of the two witnesses was a George Bannannan(sic) which is a surname that doesn't exist and is most likely his brother, George Barron, certainly as we know George was resident at Snape Farm, Hexham at this time, which suggests that Thomas may have farmed with George before he married. In any event Thomas' children are throughout Cheeseburn Grange R.C, the Land Tax records him from 1813 as farming at Ouston, Stamfordham, possibly as joint occupier with his brother Matthew. He is buried at Stamfordham.

Finally Matthew Barron 1767-1847 appears to have farmed with his father David Barron 1714-1796 (now in his old age) at Nesbitt Hill Head Farm, Stamfordham, before becoming sole occupier himself upon his father's death. In 1802 he married Hannah Walton at Newcastle upon Tyne. His children's baptisms (between 1802-1812) at Cheeseburn Grange R.C reveal that he is resident at Hill Head until (roughly) 1812. He then moved to Ouston, Stamfordham possibly as joint occupier with his brother Thomas. At some point between 1830-1841 he relocated to Backworth, Northumberland, where he died, he is buried at Stamfordham.

Regards
Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stamfordham - Possible Origins of the Barron Family
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
 My personal view is that the Barron's did not move far and are originally from the Ovingham, Corbridge, Bywell, Stamfordham area of Northumberland. Up to the mid 18th century the vast majority of Barron birth, marriages and deaths are in this area, I believe that our Barron's were probably a Catholic offshoot of these families.

At Northumberland Archives, the volume 'Return of Papists 1767' states that Cheeseburn Grange was owned at this time by the Catholic Ralph Riddell Esq (and was passed through his family), the document includes Ralph Riddell at the top and mentions 9 other families and individuals including 'David Barron and his 7 sons', 'John Barron his wife and 3 sons', and 'Matthew Barron', then states 'the above are all employed in country buisness, the greater part were born in the parish and educated papists'.

Records for John Barron and his sons can be found in Cheeseburn Grange baptisms and are clearly related to our David Barron. Likewise Matthew Barron married at Ponteland in 1767, one of the witnesses was David Barron. It seems likely that David, John & Matthew were brothers.

Unfortunately because of the recuscant laws, Catholic records always begin late, at Cheeseburn Grange they only begin from 1746, but the chapel was in existence with unrecorded baptisms etc long before then. I have found no Barron burials in the register at Stamfordham which seem to fit the family, however I did notice on an ordanance survey map of Cheeseburn Grange that it had adjoining it an old burial ground, so who knows who used to be buried there?

Regards
Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northumberland - 1841 Census - David Barron
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
 There are 3 David Barron's in Northumberland on the 1841 census, aged between 55 and 49.

1) David Barron, Gardener, age 55, residing at Postern, Newcastle upon Tyne with his wife Frances age 55.

This is David Barron baptised 13th March 1785 Cheeseburn Grange, son of George & Mary Barron. He married Frances Forster 7th February 1807 at Hexham. He died April 1846, Newcastle upon Tyne and is buried in Westgate Hill Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne. Frances died in March 1863.

2) David Barron, Farmer, age 50, Stob Hill, Cheeseburn Grange, Stamfordham.

More information can be found on the 1851 census:
David Barron, Farmer age 65, Stot Hill (Stob Hill, next to Grange Hall) born Stott Houses (Street Houses, next to Grange Hall).
He has now acquired a wife called Ann age 50.

David Barron, Farmer, of Stamfordham married Ann Acorn 1843, St Andrew's Church, Newcastle upon Tyne. His father was John Barron, agent.

This is David Barron baptised 14th March 1786, Cheeseburn Grange, son of John & Ann Barron.
The Newcastle Courant November 1792, informs us that John Barron was agent for Ralph Riddell at Cheeseburn Grange.

The Newcastle Courant April 1855 informs us that David Barron of Stob Hill was declining of farming and sold his interests at auction. He died August 1859 at Newcastle upon Tyne and is buried in St John's Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne. His wife Ann died at Newcastle upon Tyne in 1879 and is buried with him.

3) David Barron, Farmer, age 49, residing at Coldside, Nesbitt, Stamfordham with his wife Mary age 45.
    More information can be found on the 1851 census:
David Barron, Farmer, age 60, Ouston, Stamfordham, born Dodley. Mary, his wife age 53.

This is David Barron baptised 15th June 1788, Cheeseburn Grange, born at Dodley, son of David & Mary Barron. He married Mary Cram, their children were baptised at Cheeseburn Grange and are clearly identifiable on the 1841 census. David died in December 1851 and Mary in May 1853. Both are buried at Stamfordham.

Hopes this helps
Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hexham - The Barron Family - George Barron born 1750
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 September 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
So much information. Forgot to mention one small item.

Just to conform that there is more than one source (not just the Land Tax) that George Barron was occupier of Birks Farm, Falstone, parish of Simonburn. George Barron & Mary Thompson were married at St Peter's Chapel, Falstone, Northumberland 2nd June 1784, the register (Northumberland Archives) states:

'Banns of Marriage between George Barron of Birks and Mary Thompson both in this chapelry were published on May 11th, 21st, 28th.'

and

'George Barron and Mary Thompson of Birks in the chapelry of Falstone were married in this chapel by Banns this 2nd day of June 1784'.

Finally as we know from the Land Tax that George was occupier of Birks Farm at least from 1784-1791, and we know that George's two sons David & William were born in 1785 & 1786 respectively, we can assume that both David & William were both born at Falstone (despite the fact that David was baptised at Cheeseburn Grange, Stamfordham).

Patrick

Offline johnlancelotcrozier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Over the past few years I have been looking at the Ancestry for my family and for my partner's.  A couple of years ago I discovered a few pieces of interesting info about the direct link with his great grandfather's mother and his great grandfather and two of your family members - George Barron and Anthony Forster Barron.

I just want to give you this information and ask you some questions if I may, just to see if you know or have heard anything about this info or if you could confirm it or not.

As this info may be of a sensitive nature to the Barron family, you may not wish it to be discussed openly on this site - my partner's family has no problem with it as it was such a long time ago.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Regards   

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

When tracing one's ancestry one often discovers that their ancestors were less than savoury characters.

From what I have discovered so far my gggg uncle Anthony Forster Barron was in court or gaoled a total of 7 seven times, most notoriously in September 1844.

What is it you want to discuss and I will try to help you if I can.

Best wishes
Patrick