Author Topic: Anyone from Abernethy  (Read 2118 times)

Online fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone from Abernethy
« on: Thursday 04 September 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
I hope that this is in the right place!  I have already tried WWI without success.

Thanks to Jool who supplied a link I believe he is on the memorial at the centre of the 9th fairway.
The name is William Harry Grant, 11th Battalion, Royal Scots, died 3 November 1916.  I would be grateful if someone from the town could confirm and if possible take a photo and send to me.

Thank you

Sandra

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone from Abernethy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit puzzled Sandra - a war memorial on the "9th fairway" - do you mean it's on a golf course? I checked the war memorial in Abernethy (Fife) today and William Harry Grant was not listed. This Abernethy does not have a golf course. I am told, however, that there is an Abernethy Golf Course at Nethybridge near Aviemore, much further north than here. Could that be the one?
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Online fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
I must admit I too thought it rather a strange place but I have checked tonight and that is what it says.  I took your suggestion and tried Nethybridge and low and behold the memorial is on the 8th fairway but no names given although the site does have  list of names.

Another place has popped into mind - Fyvie so I will have a look and see if there is a memorial there.
Really a bit annoyed with myself as I did not know anything about him until recently.

Sandra

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 September 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
If the memorial names are not online and no-one on Rootschat volunteers to check them out for you you could try the local Family History Society for the Nethybridge area (if there is one) and see if they hold a list of names. Failing that a society member in the area may be able to go and look at it for you (and maybe take a photo). My intention today was to take a photo if the name had appeared on the memorial. Good luck.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Glass making, S Shields

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
There are some photographs of the Nethybridge memorial here:

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-post-5384.html

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Was he a Royal Engineer Sandra?  If so I guess this is the one.
Glass making, S Shields

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
He is supposed to be Royal Scots. I see he was born around Aberdeen. Is that why you are now considering Fyvie? Do you think the golf course information was wrong?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Online fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 September 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
I spent a fruitless Sunday afternoon trying to find out where he might be commemorated without success :( :(

It does help that Abernethy golf club is in Nethybridge and that there is a Nethybridge  golf club! If I have got it right.  There is also a memorial in the village square of Abernethy but not there either.

Tried Fyvie and there is one in the church yard with 66 names but no list.

Maybe next summer will try to make a trip.

Thanks to all for trying.

Sandra