Author Topic: Jones - Unfortunately!  (Read 6650 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones - Unfortunately!
« on: Friday 05 September 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking to find a David Jones, born in Flintshire (possibly Holywell/Bagillit) around 1846, son of a Robert Jones and his wife, Sarah.

I have found him with absolute certainty on the 1871 England census living with Robert and Sarah in Stoke Upon Trent - this is definitely him as his daughter, Sarah, was born in Stoke.
They were still in Stoke in 1881 (although Robert had died by this point), and by 1891, David and his wife, Elizabeth had relocated to Seaham. Which is also accurate, as this is where Sarah (their daughter), also married.
David died there in 1915.

So, from 1871 I know the information I have is correct, and I had thought I had found David, along with his parents, Robert and Sarah, in Wales in 1851 and 1861 (as well as prior to David's birth in 1841).
However, the Robert and Sarah I have traced, don't appear to leave Wales!
A Robert Jones married a Sarah Griffiths in Denbigh on the 11th October 1839.
The can be found in Mold, Flintshire on the Welsh 1841 census along with a daughter, Mary, aged 10 months.
By 1851, the same family are in Denbigh, with children, Mary Ellen (10 years), Robert Griffth, Sarah, David, (aged 4 years, misprinted as 10 years but definitely 4 years on census), and John Edward.
They are still in Denbigh in 1861, and now have another two children, Henry and James (whom was 7 years old).
I then thought that THIS family relocated to Stoke, but came across Sarah in 1871 in Caernarvon, now widowed, with children Mary Ellen (now 30 years), and James (now 17 years).
Also the Robert Jones from the family that remained in Wales was a printer/compositor by trade, the Robert who relocated to Stoke looks as though he has given his trade as a 'fireman'
So, almost certainly not the same family.

Can anybody find a David Jones born in Flintshire around 1846 with the parents, Robert and Sarah, prior to 1871?

Thanks

Sue Roberts

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones - Unfortunately!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
All things being equal,that is assuming that Robert and Sarah in 1871 are David's parents,you should only be looking at a marriage for his parents in the Holywell area.Looking on North Wales BMD I'm offering a live outsider that of a Robert Jones and a Sarah Davies at Holywell St James in 1837.I'm not finding the couple for definite in 1851 and 1861 but in 1841 they may be the couple showing in Whitford with a son John given as two years old.

As far as David's birth,given that  he shows as born in Mostyn Flintshire in the 1871 Census,I strongly recommend the birth showing in 1846 in the Whitford Sub-District.As far as finding these entries in the regions on the right of the given years choose the Flintshire(Mold) Region.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 23:36 BST (UK) »
As far as Robert in 1871 being listed as a "Fireman",you shouldn't be getting any ideas of him being a "999 Fireman",from the people on the page he was probably a Colliery(Fireman) also known as a Shot Firer.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
The only marriage I'm finding for David and Elizabeth is between a David Jones and an Elizabeth Jones at Newcastle St Giles Staffordshire in 1869.Both the Sarah and Harriet's births are showing in Hanley in 1869 and 1871 with mother's maiden name of Jones on Staffordshire BMD.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! I appreciate your help!

Sue

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
No problem at all Sue!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi just getting annoyed with this family in 1851 comparing with 1871 nailed on family, and the possible birthplace of Whitford:-

Robt Jones 35 occ Smelter? b Mostyn
Sarah 36 b Whitford
Elizabeth 5 b Baggilt
Census ref HO107/2500/572/42

Only trouble is David!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 September 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi just getting annoyed with this family in 1851 comparing with 1871 nailed on family, and the possible birthplace of Whitford:-

Robt Jones 35 occ Smelter? b Mostyn
Sarah 36 b Whitford
Elizabeth 5 b Baggilt
Census ref HO107/2500/572/42

Only trouble is David!

Keyboard86

The Elizabeth in 1871 is David's wife!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 September 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
 ;D Accute embarrassment, must try Spec Savers!

Back to drawing board!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk