Author Topic: Fouzie/Cook Mountain Township, Dundas County, Ontario  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Fouzies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fouzie/Cook Mountain Township, Dundas County, Ontario
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon,
I am hoping that someone who is familiar with Eastern Ontario can assist me in locating any information on my family.  Below are the details that I have. 

Joseph Fouzie- DOB circa 1828- birth place thought to be France
Almira Cook- DOB circa 1828- birth place thought to be Scotland. Given name varies- Ida Lavina, Elvira and Almira are the variations.  I tend to think Almira is correct because one of her sons named his daughter Josephine Almira.

Children of Joseph and Almira:

Margaret "Maggie" Fouzie- 1851-1928- unmarried and died in the House of Refuge at Cornwall
Isaiah John Fouzie- 1852-1924- married Sarah Elizabeth Everts and lived in the Russell area his entire life.
Lydia Jane Fouzie- 1854-1949- married Edward John Dundas
Electa Ann Fouzie- 1857-1951- married William James Rodford
Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Fouzie- 1957-1918- died in the Ontario Hospital for the Feeble Minded, Simcoe, Ontario
Archie Fouzie- born 1866- family members indicate that he died at around age 15 from appendicitis but I can't find any record of him other than the 1881 Census.
James Elgin- 1868-1938- married to Louisa Ross (my great grandmother) and Hannah Foley of Tomah, Wisconsin
Sidney Fouzie- 1876-1951- married Florence Nightengale Abbott of Olmstead County, Minnesota in 1910 and resided there for the rest of his life.

Reference to the family was noted in a booklet called, "Pioneer Families of  Osgoode Township".  The reference is in relation to Isaiah and Sarah's marriage.  It states that Isaiah's family lived near Thomas Skuce's house, at Foozie's (sic) Corners.  Thomas Skuce lived on Lot 8, Concession 10, Mountain Twp, Dundas County so I know approximately what location I need to hone in on.

The 1881 census record is the only one that I could find that lists all of the family, except Joseph who was by that time deceased.  The name was spelled incorrectly as 'Follese' but II am confident that it is the right family because I was able to verify the children's names.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I am especially interested in locating where Joseph and Almira might be buried as I have not been able to locate any information of them.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Fouzie/Cook Mountain Township, Dundas County, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Fouzies,

I live in Ontario, but not in that area. I am no familiar with the Dundas Co. area. Have you looked at the local newspapers for obits, marriage and birth notices. I would contact the local public libraries such as in Cornwall and Kingston, and possibbly the York branch of the Toronto Public Library (good genealogy dept there) to see if they have any info. I have also gotten good info from town local history books :-)

You might want to look at the OCFA site: http://ocfa.islandnet.com/ocfa-search.php, to find where they are buried and then contact the cemetery administration for info as well. It appears that Dundas Co., now Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Co., is close to the Quebec border so you may want to look at genealogical sources in Quebec near the border as well.

Hope this helps you, JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you have on the family.  The 1881 census does indicate Almira born in Ontario of German descent.  Have you tracked the Peter Cook family living directly above her?  The children show they are of French descent which doesn't mean that Joseph was born in France.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1861/jpg/4391934_00652.jpg
This should be Almira and husband on the 1861 census - last 2 entries
This indicates they were both born in Quebec.

My husband's ancestry is traced back to Stormont county.  The name Fusee, Fussee is one that I've seen.  Another spelling that enumerators seemed to use in at least the 1861 census.  The children are not listed on the following page.  Sometimes records were not kept in correct order.  Another possibility that children are with relatives as the parents seem to be labourers for this farmer in 1861

Offline Fouzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 01:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your assistance.   I did save the 1861 census record on my Ancestry.com site but I was puzzled by the incorrect DOB, stated origin as American and the fact that by 1861, they had 4 children that are not listed.  They could have been placed with relatives, as you suggest, but I have not been able to find much on the Cook family either.  If Joseph had other family here, I have yet to find them.  There was a Louis Fouzie on a Quebec City ship list and a Henry Fouzie on one from Boston but the names have not turned up anywhere else and could well be spelling mistakes.

I did notice that the 1881 census indicates Almira was German.  Her son Sidney indicated that he was Dutch on his immigration papers  when he entered the USA.  The descendants in Canada and the USA both were told that Joseph was French and Almira was a Scot but I have no way of knowing if that is true since I have not located any solid documentation on either one of them.
I was hoping that descendants of Lydia or Electa Fouzie might see the post because they both had large families and live in the general area. 

I have tried before to find a connection between Fusee and Fouzie.  I have not been successful.   Another member told me that many French people with the name Fusee changed it to Gunn. I haven't ruled it out as a possible though!
Thanks again for your assistance.

Shirley

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 03:23 BST (UK) »
The 1861 shows them as born America C.E. which would be Quebec.  Others enumerated on the page are shown as America C.W. which would be Ontario.  These are for those born in Canada.  If you were born in another country such as Ireland it is shown as such.
The heritage of the children comes from the father.  Therefore Almira's father would have been of German or Dutch origin.  Looking at my husband's line it is sometimes acknowledged as German and other times Dutch. 

Offline meann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I see there are post for info on Fouzie family I am related to this family as my grandmother is Helena Dundas

Offline meann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm not sure if anyone will get this but trying anyway.  I see there are post for the Fouzie family my Grandmother is Helena Dundas her father is John Frances Dundas. Lydia Fouzie is related to me. I'd like to find out more info about this family. I have just started researching this part of my family

Thanks
Mariann

Offline Fouzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mariann!  Very nice to hear from you.  I posted this years ago and I have filled in quite a few of the gaps since then but there is still much to find out about the Fouzie clan.

If you are on Ancestry.com, I have a public tree there under Fouzie.

My great grandfather was James Elgin Fouzie and he was a brother to Lydia.  Do you still live in the eastern Ontario area? 

Probably the most significant thing that I have learned is that our name is spelled incorrectly.  We are not Fouzie but rather Foisy and the family hails from Varennes, Quebec and the general area.  Once I was able to make that connection, I started to fill in the gaps.  DNA testing has really helped as well and we now have a pretty solid DNA circle with the common ancestor being Joseph Foisy.

Let me know if you are not on Ancestry and I will see what I can do to help you! Always happy to meet another cousin.

Best Regards,
Shirley Fouzie