Author Topic: David Lloyd George and Bryn y Garreg  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Lloyd George and Bryn y Garreg
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I recently contacted a relative of my gg grandfather Edward George (b 1856, Flint Mountain, Flintshire) who lived at Bryn y Garreg, Flintshire and was a farmer, who said that his grandmother (Edward George's daughter Vera Doris George (b 1901, Flintshire) witnessed a family reunion at a train station when she was young. The family union happened at Flint Railway Station between the George's of Bryn y Garreg and David Lloyd George. I'm not sure whether Edward George was at that reunion as he thought DLG was a womaniser and disapproved of him but apparently there is a photo of Edward George and DLG's brother William somewhere, taken at flint railway station. I have been told there is a newspaper cutting of this, which sadly was lost when Vera died.

Thus, I have been trying to prove the connection through researching the family trees but I can find no connection, at least not after 1800.

The George's of Bryn y Garreg were coal miners and don't appear to have left Flintshire, going all the way back to 1841. Whereas DLG's George family tree were generally from around Pembrokeshire, although his LLoyd family were located further North iirc.

Can anyone here shed any light on any of this? I imagine the newspaper article must have been from around 1903-1910 . I've scoured the newspapers I have access to and can't find anything. Perhaps there was no newspaper article and it was just a photograph I dunno. It's a little frustrating to say the least.

I think Edward's mother Elizabeth may have been an Ellis, although a relative thinks she was a Morgan. The census records seem to indicate that Edward's father William (b~1814, Flintshire) had a brother called John, all born in Flintshire.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Lloyd George and Bryn y Garreg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Raido,

Hve you contacted the Flintshire Record Office to see if they hold any information on visits to Flintshire by David Lloyd George?

http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/en/LeisureAndTourism/Records-and-Archives/Home.aspx

You have a good idea of the time scale and where the meeting took place, so they may hold some information on this.

There is a marriage in Flint Registration District in the December quarter of 1850, William George to Elizabeth Ellis. Judging by their respective ages then, I do wonder if this could be a second marriage for them. I note that in th 1851 census, there are two people in their household by the name of Ellis. I cannot get the image up to find the relationship.

Jo.