Author Topic: Warrington Hotel, Empress Terrace, Douglas  (Read 4126 times)

Offline andecc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warrington Hotel, Empress Terrace, Douglas
« on: Monday 08 September 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
My grandparents both worked at the Warrington Hotel or Warrington Boarding House at Empress Terrace, Douglas in the mid 1920's. There is a photo of the building at :-http://www.imuseum.im/Collections/View.mth?EntryID=2902887&issourcerecord=true&sourcecategory=QuickSearch

It doesn't have a date but looks later than the 1920's and shows members of staff on the steps and others who are probably guests. Above the door it says Warrington Hotel and Eccles. My grandfathers name was Eccles and I believe he had relatives in the IOM so my question is, " does anyone know anything about this hotel and is there a list of hotel / boarding house proprietors that may shed some light on the name?. Thanks, Andy Eccles, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Warrington Hotel, Empress Terrace, Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Empress Terrace dates pre 1898 as in the accomodation section of guide book of that year but no Warrington house in list of 6 guest houses in terrace nor there in 1904 book -

1904 list
#1 The Palatine Mrs Brooke - unnamed Mrs Arnfield in 1898
#5 Merridale House Mrs T J Horsley
#6 Perth House Miss Howarth
#7 Soho House Mrs Alcock

1898 list
#8 Peter Travis (in 1894 directory Mrs Travis at at The Brassington)
unnumbered Westmoreland house (Mrs Ellis), Shaftsbury House (Mrs Charnley), The Beach(Macauley) , Brookwood house(Miss Harpur - in 1894directory this was Thomas Mawdesley)
thus suspect in early years at least the owners + names changed quite a bit
any thing with a Manx Connection