Author Topic: Henlow Bedfordshire john arch  (Read 2159 times)

Offline archangle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henlow Bedfordshire john arch
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm really stuck ...I'm trying to find the father and mother of john arch born 1848 henlow Bedfordshire if someone could help ,I'm trying to research for my grandad thanks

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Henlow Bedfordshire john arch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 14 22:10 BST (UK) »

Hi

Do you have the 1851 and 1861 Census entries for this man??  They show him in 1861 as John ARCH but it appears that in 1851 he is John JACKSON. 

On both entries his Grandmother is Susan/Susannah JACKSON and his uncle is William JACKSON who was born deaf and dumb according to the Census.

Have you searched for births for a John JACKSON around 1848 in this area on FreeBMD ??

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
Baptism registration  record for John Arch 18/6/1848 Henlow Bedfordshire but no parents mentioned ...Found same details as Karenlee.
Did he marry Lucy Covell 1888 ?

Offline archangle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi yes he married Lucy co ell that was his second wife his first was mary Ann McCarthy and they got divorced in 1887 I have found his marriage certificate that says his father was a farmer called john arch who was deceased ...thanks for your help I'll have to keep looking !!

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 23:43 BST (UK) »

Hi

There is a birth registered for a John JACKSON in the December Quarter of 1848 in the district of Biggleswade which includes Henlow.  It might be worth your while to order this one and see who the parents are.

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 September 14 00:00 BST (UK) »

Have you seen his UK Army Service Record from his time in India??

Karenlee

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henlow Bedfordshire John Arch
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 September 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
John Arch comes up regularly on these boards

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=638375.msg4856094#msg4856094 about his military service (actually that was your thread)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=638844.msg5047675#msg5047675 about his probable father (actually that was you as well)

Repeating requests without referencing earlier threads and ignoring advice that you've been given tends to duplicate effort.

You've been given as much as there is on John Arch's father - in all likelihood he was John Arch, farmer of Clifton. Did you get a copy from York of the will of John Arch who died in 1861, as I suggested? Did you get a copy of the birth cert of the male Jackson born in Biggleswade registration district in the March quarter 1848 as Trish suggested?

You're not going to get a nice gift wrapped document with his parents named on it. Particularly needed with illegitimacy is research into various angles, and it's then down to the balance of probabilities - I'm sure he was the illegitimate son of John Arch, farmer, of Clifton and a daughter of Susannah Jackson, possibly Betsy, but you'll need to invest £9-25 in the birth cert in the hope that it's the right Jackson which should name the mother at least, and a few quid on the will, in an attempt to prove it.

As he was baptised in June 1848 I don't think he was the John Jackson whose birth was registered in the Dec quarter 1848 ie born from mid August 1848 onwards given that 6 weeks is allowed for registration. I think it's more likely that he was the unnamed male Jackson born in the first quarter 1848, but it'll take the birth cert to prove it.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock