Author Topic: The Mystery of Muriel's Marriage - NSW or Queensland ????  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
The Mystery of Muriel's Marriage - NSW or Queensland ????
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
HiYall  ;)
Hope you are all well, it's a while since I've been on the Aussie Board but I have hit another brick wall and need the help of you lovely peeps  ;D (crawl, crawl)

I have been  looking into the mysterious Muriel Tivey for a few years, never found a birth or marriage for her or very much information really, the story surrounding her birth really touched me and although not a close rellie, I've been trying to find out more about her ever since (and failing really!). I have photos of her from family members when she was young  but nobody seems to know much about her at all.

She was (allegedly) the daughter of Alma Winifred Moore (AKA Dorrie) and Alfred Tivey (AIF) who were both born NSW, they were unmarried when Dorrie gave birth around 1918. Both Alfred (b 1884, Cooma) and Dorrie resided in Bunadoon NSW before the war. He was killed in France 9 May 1918. I have found lots of info on Alfred and Dorrie and not seeking anything further at this point. Muriel was reputedly brought up between Alfred's spinster sisters Edith and Amy and his married sister Ruby (Green).

Muriel, remains a mystery, I had no idea who she married, when she died etc etc until a couple of weeks ago I spotted a death in Queensland for a Muriel WINDSOR 1961 Queensland Father's name Tivey. I decided to take the plunge and order the death certificate, the translation is as follows -

Death in the District of Brisbane in the State of Queensland, registered by Timothy Francis de Sales Scott:  Number 46040; Place and date of death: 5th August 1961 Jackson's Estate, Cribb Island. (now part of Brisbane) Name: Muriel Windsor,  Sex & Age: 43 years, Female: Cause of Death: Subdural haemorrhage (Written on  "Fall on Stairs" Medical Attendant by Whom Certified: A Davison, after Post Mortem, 7 August 1961 (Date of PM). Name of Father: Tivey: Name of Mother: Non stated: Signature, description and residence of informant: B. Windsor  Geebung: (Written in pencil - "Called 20/9/61 any further particulars Unknown to Him. Would call again if anything further." ) Signature of Registrar  T F Scott, 7 August 1961 Brisbane: Where and When Cremated or Buried: Mt Thompson Crematorium by J E Wiggins Church of England: By Whom Certified E Atkey, E H Smith J. Smith:  Where born and how long in Australian States: (Written: Unknown) If deceased was married (1) Where - Unknown, (2) At What Age - 18 years. (3) To Whom - Harold Windsor. Issue living, in order of birth, their names and ages. - B**** ****** aged 24, male; I**  *********, Aged 22, male.
I believe there was also a daughter born c1943 (who Ive been in touch with but knows very little, but she isnt mentioned on the death cert, and may have been adopted at an early age)

So from this I have deduced that she must have married abt 1935/7 to "Harold Windsor" her first son being born 1936/7, second abt 1939. (Private because they might still be with us and I dont want to breach privacy - so PM me if you have info)

What I am looking for essentially is her marriage, anything about her husband (or anything else really!) I am guessing that the move to Queensland was something to do with her Uncle Thomas Edward Tivey who was unmarried and died in Brisbane 1953. Her spinster aunt Amy Violet, also died in Brisbane 1963 (both of them being born NSW).

Obviously, the Death Notices and newspaper articles on Trove for Brisbane only go up to 1954 so if someone has access to Brisbane Newspapers in August 1961 and can find anything more about her death or any other detail on her husband, marriage etc  I'd be very grateful ;)

Cheers everyone, have a great weekend :)
Jan Ann

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of Muriel's Marriage - NSW or Queensland ????
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
Electoral Roll has two Qld entries in 1954 which may be her.

Muriel Irene WINDSOR, Moreton St, Paddington (Qld), home duties - no-one else of that surname at that address

Muriel Jessie WINDSOR, 10 Dorchester St, Highgate Hill, home duties
Raymond Milton WINDSOR, linesman at same address

I can't see either of these elsewhere.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
Really do not know if this has any bearing--

Electoral Roll 1925
Rosemount Hospital
Fortitude Valley, Brisbane
WINDSOR, Harold, cook

Death by suicide 1947

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49329959?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 14 03:56 BST (UK) »
incorrect information ::) Deleted
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:03 BST (UK) »
Is this the same man?

Australian Electoral Roll
Qld 1936  Lilley/Windsor
WINDSOR Gertrude Mary  Second Avenue, Albion  HD
WINDSOR Harold Albert  Second Avenue  Albion  Cook

Death
1947   B11286   
WINDSOR Harold Albert   
Father Frederick    Mother Alice QUILLY

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:06 BST (UK) »
And marriage

1925   B38729   
WINDSOR Harold Albert
WHITE Gertrude Mary   

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:08 BST (UK) »
No mention of family in the funeral notices
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01a02/

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:17 BST (UK) »
Gertrude Mary WINDSOR is still at the same address in 1980 as where Harold committed suicide.  This is possibly not the right "Harold". :-\

Only Harold WINDSOR on the Qld electoral roll though.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:31 BST (UK) »
Jan there is an online tree with little detail apart from born c1918 and died Qld with parents Alfred TIVEY and mother Elma Winifred MOORE.

Cando