Author Topic: The Mystery of Muriel's Marriage - NSW or Queensland ????  (Read 8364 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of Muriel's Marriage - NSW or Queensland ????
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:49 BST (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribb_Island,_Queensland

Doesn't sound an ideal place to live in the 1950's.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 September 14 05:06 BST (UK) »
You're sure right, there, Cando!   ::)   ::)

Because of the mud flats, it was terrible for mosquitoes.

As Wiki points out, it was all resumed for expansion of the Brisbane airport.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 September 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though she may have been down on her luck.

Signature, description and residence of informant: B. Windsor  Geebung: (Written in pencil - "Called 20/9/61 any further particulars Unknown to Him. Would call again if anything further." )

I have located this man on the electoral roll at Geebung and will pm his full name and his wife's. 

Cando

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 September 14 05:25 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though she may have been down on her luck.

Signature, description and residence of informant: B. Windsor  Geebung: (Written in pencil - "Called 20/9/61 any further particulars Unknown to Him. Would call again if anything further." )

I have located this man on the electoral roll at Geebung and will pm his full name and his wife's. 

Cando

His wife remains on the electoral Roll to 1980, but his last registration is 1977.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 September 14 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks All for your comments and PM's - much appreciated.  ;)

Maybe she wasnt married after all - unbeknown to her son who just assumed she was. Poor Muriel, she had a hard life and died so young. Her life could have been so different if her father hadnt have been killed in a senseless war - pretty sure her parents would have married on his return.

Will keep at it :)  Thanks once again!
Cheers
Jan Ann  :-*

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Kylie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 May 17 02:03 BST (UK) »
Seems I'm a few years late to join in this conversation but I feel it should be made known that a lot of what people have added is completely wrong.
Firstly, Muriel's husband was never on the Electrol roll anywhere in Australia, as he wasn't Australian.
Secondly, her son and his wife are very much still on the electrol roll as they are both living and voting!
Thirdly, Muriel hadn't fallen on hard times!!
I can assure you the information I have is correct.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there Kylie67

Welcome to RootsChat, a great please (oops,) place (  :) ) for help with family history research.   I am sure that Jan Ann will be pleased with your post and info about Muriel and her family.    If you make a couple more posts you will be able to use the Personal Message service and all the other features available for RChatters.   :)

Even today (2017) there are still people enrolled to vote on Australian Electoral Rolls who are not Australian.   Back in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and into the 1980s there were many non-Australians on the rolls.  They did need to be British Subjects, either by birth, birthright or by naturalisation.      http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/British_subjects.htm
Under section 93(1)(b)(ii) of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918, British subjects, who were enrolled for a federal electoral division in Australia immediately before 26 January 1984, are eligible to enrol and vote at federal elections and referendums. Section 4 of the Referendum (Machinery Provisions) Act 1984 also provides that electors who are entitled to vote at an election are entitled to vote at a referendum.

JM  (edit ... ::) I can't spell. ) 
That predictative text thingy had please instead of place :-[  ::)  ;D  :D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 May 17 06:56 BST (UK) »
Seems I'm a few years late to join in this conversation but I feel it should be made known that a lot of what people have added is completely wrong.
Firstly, Muriel's husband was never on the Electrol roll anywhere in Australia, as he wasn't Australian.
Secondly, her son and his wife are very much still on the electrol roll as they are both living and voting!
Thirdly, Muriel hadn't fallen on hard times!!
I can assure you the information I have is correct.

Kylie, thanks for your comments, you have my email address if you would like to contact me directly - it is also on the Tivey website.
I apologise if you think that any of the information quoted about your ancestor is incorrect, none of it was meant to be offensive.

At the end of the day, these chat members are only trying to build a picture of life in general and the geographical location in the 1950's.  I'm grateful for their help, being situated on the other side of the world with limited access to Australian records.

It is 3 years since this chat was opened, other evidence has come to light since, including the information you have kindly shared with me since April 2015.

So once again - sorry if you are offended by the "fallen on hard times" comment or any other comments - it was unintentional.

Muriel's life has always intrigued me and will continue to do so.

Kind Regards
Jan Ann

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Kylie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan.
I wasn't offended by the comments, I just don't want people getting the wrong image of my grandmother.
People were going down the wrong avenue with regards to my grandfather.
I have to say though, my father finds this all very intrusive especially people PMing his details. He is however fascinated by all the Tivey information on the internet. He was very close to his mother and out of respect for him, I feel protective of her.