Author Topic: Richard Morgan (1747-1838) & Jane Joel (1755-1825)  (Read 2341 times)

Offline SteveSp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard Morgan (1747-1838) & Jane Joel (1755-1825)
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to verify this family for which there are two references online. One is at Ancestry.com and the other is from a website that was accessed in 2012 but now is dead: http://jevanshughes.users.btopenworld.com/roots/cefnmelgoedtekst.htm

Any help would be appreciated. One will appears to be possible but only based on the birth place of the wife Jane and other members of the family who have references to Llanbadarn Fawr:   

Richard Morgan, Yeoman  SD/1840/63  1840
These documents are held at National Library of Wales
Contents:
Will. Miscellaneous.
Diocese: St David's
Parish: Llanychaearn. Llanbadarn Fawr
Township: Cwrt y Cwm. Cwmwhylog
County: Cardiganshire

(Also don't understand the period in both the Parish and the Township. Is it both or one or the other?)

I'm in the U.S. and never requested a Will from the National Library. I don't know how that works.

I'm attaching the family for two generations.

Thanks for any help!
Steve
Spicer - Dorset
Pitt - Dorset
Hellyar - Dorset
Frizell - Dorset

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Morgan (1747-1838) & Jane Joel (1755-1825)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
there's no need to request the will, NLW wills are online and free.

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

put 1840 in the date & save, then search on Richard Morgan & you can read the images. He moved, so the will says formerly of Cwmhwylog in Llanbadarnfawr, now of Cwrtycwm in Llanerchaiarn which may explain why the will is indexed without a parish.

The will mentions sons Richard, Joel & Evan, Evan living at Llettyrgegin in Llanerchaiarn & daughters Ann (& her issue), Jane (& her issue) & Margaret. Margaret married William Rowland(s) & Cwrtycwm appears to be their home, & she was the sole executrice. The will was written 22 Dec 1830, Richard died 20 Jan 1838 & probate was 25 Feb 1840.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline SteveSp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks. I think I may have gotten lucky considering the number of Richard Morgan(s) living at the time. The will should verify the names that I already have that were un-sourced and give some additional clues as to the rest of the family. One son, Thomas, had already emigrated to America in 1833 and that's the American line I'm primarily interested in.
Thanks again.
Steve
Spicer - Dorset
Pitt - Dorset
Hellyar - Dorset
Frizell - Dorset

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
lucky indeed! I can see Margaret & William on the census in 1841 in Llanerchaiarn, spelt Llan ych aiarn on Ancestry.

Richard appears to be buried in the churchyard at Llanbadarn fawr ref J234 which gives some extra info on Cwmhwylog

http://www.llanbadarnchurchyard.org.uk/

Possibility for Joel & family F66/67, if he became an auctioneer?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline SteveSp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
The will, written in 1830, does not mention son Thomas who emigrated in 1833. I suppose it's possible that he fell out with his father, but I'd like to make the connection between Thomas and his father. The will doesn't make that connection.
Thanks for the information on the other family. The names are consistent with the names Thomas gave to his children: Thomas, David, Richard and John were born in Wales, Joel and Evan were born in  America.
Thanks, Steve
Spicer - Dorset
Pitt - Dorset
Hellyar - Dorset
Frizell - Dorset