Author Topic: kate pilcher  (Read 2263 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kate pilcher
« on: Monday 15 September 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
my great nan kate pilcher her reall name is catherine but she always went by kate,moved over to liverpool from cork ireland after her husband stephen pilcher who was a coast guard with the royal navy died in 1918,i am trying to find out what year she moved here,i ve been told that she lived in upper parliament st liverpool before she moved to abbingdon rd walton,i was just wondering if anyone could find out when she shows up on electoral rolls.....thanks cathie

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: kate pilcher
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi cathieee

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Electoral registers may not help if she wasn't eligible to vote.

All women didn't get the vote until 1928.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
hi,i dont know if im doing this right but its the only reply button i can see,i ve looked on ancestry and she is logged in england from 1918 but because i cant afford to join it wont let me see it,is there any free way you can look them up on line ???,also do you know whats the best web sites for looking up irish records,i ve paid for a few on roots ireland but as im stuck now i really cant afford to pay for ifs buts and maybe s,thanx for getting in touch x :)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Is this them in Ireland in 1901?

44 in Ballynacourty (Clonea, Waterford)

Pilcher Stephen 37 Male Head of Family       
Pilcher Kate 22 Female Wife       
Pilcher Stephen 2 Male Son       
Pilcher Margret Clara 1 Female Daughter

Heather

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat from me too Cathie.  :)

1901 and 1911 Irish censuses are free:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Your local library may have Ancestry Library Edition which you can use for free. Both Ancestry and Find my Past have 2 week free trials which you can take up, and perhaps even ask friends or relatives if they will join up and let you use their free two week trial. Very important though is to ensure that you cancel the trial before the two weeks is up otherwise they will charge you for a whole year's subscription. Just be very careful with that. I used to take free trials when I knew I had two weeks with nothing to do so I could get the most out of it.

Also you can ask for help on rootschat of course, and people may be able to help you. However we are still unable to do lookups from the 1911 census.

Also www.freebmd.org.uk and www.freecen.org.uk can be useful though neither have complete coverage for all areas.

Another useful site:https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

Irish records can be a bit hit and miss. I've not had any luck with any of them though some people do. There are some Irish records here (scroll down the page):
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
i ve looked on ancestry and she is logged in england from 1918

Which record set was this?

Maybe we can find an alternative source of these records, if we knew what they were? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are a couple of records for a Kate Pilcher in the 1918 London Electoral Rolls on Ancestry but from what you have said it is highly unlikely to be the person you are enquiring about.

Andy

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
my great nan kate pilcher her reall name is catherine but she always went by kate,moved over to liverpool from cork ireland after her husband stephen pilcher who was a coast guard with the royal navy died in 1918,i am trying to find out what year she moved here,i ve been told that she lived in upper parliament st liverpool before she moved to abbingdon rd walton,i was just wondering if anyone could find out when she shows up on electoral rolls.....thanks cathie

I know this name here in Liverpool ...so I went on www.freebmd.org.uk    and
  www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html   both sites have Pilcher in Liverpool ...freebmd from 1837 and Lan-opc from 1828.....and Master Mariner as father crop up a few times ...
so - do you not think it a little strange that Kate came to Liverpool AFTER Stephens death ??...do you know that Kate was born in Ireland ??....could it be possible Kate came to Liverpool to be with family ?.....this is an example of baptisms for Pilcher in Liverpool in 1800`s
baptism 4th march 1829 St Peter ,Liverpool
Elizabeth Naomi Pilcher - daughter of Thomas Pilcher and Naomi
abode Park Lane
occupation Mariner
later on on other baptisms Thomas (Brittanicus) Pilcher is a Customs Officer
baptism 10th feb 1840 St Peter ,Liverpool
Albert Jeffery Pilcher - son of William Pilcher and Charlotte
abode  Russell Street
occ Master Mariner

so it looks to me like Stephen Pilcher who died in Ireland may have had family in Liverpool - probably with money judging by their occupations - still Master Mariners in 1880`s
baptism 21st may 1882 St Cuthbert,Everton,Liverpool
Robert Stuart Pilcher - son of Edward Pilcher and Annie
born 28th Jan 1882
abode 11 Tancred Road
occupation - Master Mariner
Mariner / Master Mariner / Customs Officer / Coastguard in Royal Navy ???...I  think there might be some sort of connection for Stephen Pilcher and the Liverpool seamen Pilcher ??
otherwise - why would Kate come to Liverpool ??
is Nigel Pilcher any relation ?? quite well known in teaching youngsters acting skills
http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/31006707
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
You can access the 1911 Irish census for free.

This should link to their page

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001785039/

Stephen is shown as Station Officer Coastguard, Stephen & Kate are born in Cork, 6 children all born in Ireland, all Roman Catholic

There is a link here to his Irish probate record and you can click on the camera icon to see the image without charge

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K62F-37X
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea