Author Topic: Cheshire Boat Families  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Andy Wigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cheshire Boat Families
« on: Monday 15 September 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Over the course of the summer I have been researching my mother in law's family tree. Her father remarried after her mother died and after his death his second wife destroyed all the documents he had so it's been a case of starting from scratch.

In the course of my research I have found that several branches of the family were working or living on canal boats based around the Trent and Mersey and latterly the Manchester Ship Canal, during the 19th and early 20th centuries. I have found two companies they worked for so far and several boat names these include:

Charles Jacks Snr - worked for the Salt Union - the 1901 census has him and his family on the 'Joyce' and the 1911 census has him and one of his sons on the 'Lapland'
Samuel Turton - worked for Frederick J Abbott Ltd - registered master of the 'Alfred Abbott' in 1929
Joseph Goode (Samuel's brother in law) - also worked for Frederick J Abbott Ltd - registered master of the 'John Abbott' in 1935

I'm wondering if anyone else is researching boat families and would like to share info? I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has researched the Salt Union Company (merged with ICI) and Frederick J Abbott Ltd. I'd be happy to pass on useful sources and information I've found so far.

Offline Andy Wigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Boat Families
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
Would also be interested in sharing info with anyone who has connections with Verdin and Sons Salt Company or Brunner Mond.

Offline AndrewJE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Over the course of the summer I have been researching my mother in law's family tree. Her father remarried after her mother died and after his death his second wife destroyed all the documents he had so it's been a case of starting from scratch.

In the course of my research I have found that several branches of the family were working or living on canal boats based around the Trent and Mersey and latterly the Manchester Ship Canal, during the 19th and early 20th centuries. I have found two companies they worked for so far and several boat names these include:

Charles Jacks Snr - worked for the Salt Union - the 1901 census has him and his family on the 'Joyce' and the 1911 census has him and one of his sons on the 'Lapland'
Samuel Turton - worked for Frederick J Abbott Ltd - registered master of the 'Alfred Abbott' in 1929
Joseph Goode (Samuel's brother in law) - also worked for Frederick J Abbott Ltd - registered master of the 'John Abbott' in 1935

I'm wondering if anyone else is researching boat families and would like to share info? I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has researched the Salt Union Company (merged with ICI) and Frederick J Abbott Ltd. I'd be happy to pass on useful sources and information I've found so far.

Hi Andy I know this is an old post but it came up when I searched on 'Salt Union' after researching my Boatman ancestor Henry Swan (1858-1932)
His father was a lock keeper on the Trent and Mersey canal at Sandon  in Staffordshire
In 1901 census he was captain of barge 'Adack' on the Bridgwater Canal at Worsley,Lancs but lived at Marston cheshire
In 1911 census he was a Waterman with The Salt Union living at Marston. as was his son William and son in law Richard

What I find amusingly coincidental is that:
Henry was married in the parish church of  Salt, Staffordshire
He worked as a boatman carrying salt
His daughter married Richard Salt and had three little Salts!

???

Offline Gillum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

I have a book published by ICI. "A hundred years of Alkali in Cheshire" covering the lives of Sir John Tomlinson Brunner Bt, and Dr Ludwig Mond ,FRS covering their work with the chemical Co ICI. If you let me have a private com' and email I can arrange for you to have a loan somehow.
Cheers
David