Author Topic: O'Donnell family from Mayo  (Read 4495 times)

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
O'Donnell family from Mayo
« on: Wednesday 17 September 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information regarding a family by the name of O'Donnell who lived in Westport, Mayo.   The family lived in the Louisburgh area and in Carrowmacloughlin, Kinknock and Belclare.  There was a Patrick O'Donnell born 1851 and who married a Mary Kitterick in Louisburgh.  Does any of the above sound familiar to anyone?

Offline Mary Minton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell family from Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather,Michael O'Donnell born in Carrowmacloughlin  Louisbourgh Mayo had a brother Patrick born 1851 who married Mary Kitterick, they had 5 children (that I know of ) all born in Carrowmacloughlin Michael 1883, Mary Ann 1885, Bridget 1889, Catherine 1892 and Sarah 1896. I was born in Belclare Westport, as was my father Desmond O'Donnell and his father Thomas O Donnell born 1885. Regards Mary Minton nee O'Donnell

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary I am delighted to hear from you I will reply to you again in the next couple of days but thought that first of all I should explain my interest in the O"Donnell family, my late mother in law was a Sarah O'Donnell and she was the daughter of Patrick Joseph O'Donnell who was nephew of iMchael O'Donnell born1840, Michael O'Donnell senior was her great grandfather.  There are so many questions I would like to ask you.  best wishes for now regards Joan D'Arcy

Offline Mary Minton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan, so happy we've made contact, I went to check mayoancestors site, this is where I got much of my info, but the site has closed.It sounds like I have some info wrong, so would very much like to compare notes.Speak to you soon  :)

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi before we get going can I ask you a question you say your father was Desmond O'Donnell and his father was a Thomas, that is fine it is exactly what I have found but do you know about your grandfather's brother Richard? do you know who is married?  It might seem a strange question but it could answer not only my query but a couple of other peoples also.  Joan  PS I think we should perhaps go to personal messages as we will be giving out quite a lot of family info.  I will send you a message from there together with my e mail address if that is easier.  Joan

Offline BostonBethy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 23 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this is a very old question but I came across this thread in a google search.  Sara O'Donnell (Gavin) is my grandmother and listed on her death certificate was her mother Mary Kittredge and father as Patrick O'Donnell on her death certificate,  Same for her sister Katherine (Kate) who lived with her in Boston..  I am certain the family listed in the 1901 Census is her.  It looks as though the family may have fallen on hard times between 1901 and 1911 - my grandmother Sarah lived with her sister Mary Anne at that time and shortly after that Mary Anne was institutionalized.  I cannot find a trace of their other sister Bridget or where their parents (Patrick and Mary O'Donnell) ended up.  My grandmother and her sister Katherine came to Boston in 1920. From what I am told from those who knew her, neither would ever discuss their time in Ireland. I know this isn't much of a help, I was just so happy to find this thread. 

Offline Mary Minton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 23 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you, I have Mary Kitterick married to Patrick O'Donnell, he is the brother of my great,great grandfather Michael O'Donnell.if you are doing a family tree, I can give you some info about the family but your side seem to disappear, however now you've said, some went to Boston I will try and do some more research. I was born in Mayo but brought up in England. If you have any info I would love to hear it. Regards Mary Minton nee O'Donnell

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 23 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 23 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk