Author Topic: ? Needle in a haystack - help please!  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Puzzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
? Needle in a haystack - help please!
« on: Thursday 18 September 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
I am come to a wall in the search for my Great-grandfather, Thomas Evans, not an easy name!
The few things I know for certain are:
He was born in Denbighshire in or near to 1832.  He died in Liverpool in 1893.  My father said his family were from the rural Ruthin/Mold area and they certainly had connections to Ffronhuelog.  His father was called John who had died before 1856 (when Thomas married Maria Gleave in Liverpool).  He gave his father's profession as 'farmer', but, knowing Thomas, that could be upping things a bit!

I originally had him as born in Nantglyn to  John and Elinor Evans but I really don't think this is right.
I have done a lot of research on line but now I am stumped, there are so many John and Thomas Evans's but none seem to match up.
I have a baptism which is a possibility on March 25 1832 in Cyffylliog, parents John, (miller)and
Elizabeth Evans.  The only 1841 census that could fit is Bachymbyd/Felinfred?dd, Fronhuelog Township, but I can't make out the relationships, it might be that the Thomas aged 9 was orphaned and living with family?  The other people were Thomas aged 60, miller, Catherine 45, Thomas 20, and young Thomas 9.  Millers again, not farmers.
My father who was born in 1898, died a long time ago, Thomas was his Grandfather, but I remember he talked about lovely holidays with his 'cousins' ( not necessarily 1st cousins) at Ffronhuelog, they had one of the first motorbikes in Wales, (Dad fell off and cracked his spine), and when we were round there he always stopped at some old gates and said that was all that was left, it was a quarry by then.  He said his 'Uncle' had once been Mayor of Mold, which must have been in the early 1900's.
That's it, it is difficult checking records from France, but I wondered if anything rang a bell with someone, or you could point me in a new direction please!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: ? Needle in a haystack - help please!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 September 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
I presume this is them in 1881 in Liverpool?
Thomas Evans 49
Maria Evans 48
John Evans 19
Caroline Mary Evans 17
James Gleave Evans 15
Thomas George Evans 12
Ann Evans 56, Sister, Unm, no occp shown, born Wrexham, Denbighshire
Thomas is also born Wrexham on this Census

Have you tried to trace Ann on earler Census?

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 September 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
1871 Thomas is just born c 1831 Wales so no help there. 1861 just Denbighshire.
Ah ,just found 1891 Thomas EVANDS c 1833 Derbigh, Wrexham
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 14 15:37 BST (UK) »
1901, Thomas Evans is in West Derby, Liverpool, aged 72, Father in Law to head of household, George Henry Clampett, aged 40. George's wife is Elizabeth, aged 39. Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Evans, is also shown as born Wrexham.

Thomas Evans is shown as a Slater, a widower and born Wrexham.

Find My Past has a baptism for Thomas Evans in Wrexham on 26/10/1828, son of John and Ellen Evans. The parish register shows John Evans to be a Farmer. Their abode looks to be Rhostellan. I wonder if it is Rhostyllen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhostyllen

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census, there is a possible match with a family in Flint. The details are:

John Evans, age 53, Pilot, born Denbigh, Wales.
Ellin Evans, wife, age 56, born Flint, Wales.
Thomas Evans, son, age 24, Labourer, born Flint, Wales.
Ellin Evans, granddaugher, age 8, Scholar. Born Flint, Wales.
Robert Hughes, visitor, age 49, married, Piriman, born Anglesea, Wales.

There is another family in the 1861 which might match these in Llanfwrog, Ruthin. Reference: RG9/4290 Folio 30 Page 26.

Jo

Offline Puzzle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, yes, the 1881 census with Thomas married to Maria is him, but the 1901 isn't, and the 1828 baptism is too early, sadly. He is pretty consistently 1831/1832.

I wondered if his mother could have been called Ann as his older sister was Ann, and Thomas and Maria's eldest daughter was Annie-Maria.  Names seem to be very repetitive in our family, but I haven't found anything.  As ever, I should have asked more questions when I was young
He did rather like to make more of himself than was the case!  So I take 'farmer' with a pinch of salt.

I meant to add I have a copy of an older family tree where his father is John and mother, Elinor with a ? Which is why I originally went down the Nantglyn route but nothing seems to tie up with this, including the names.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:21 BST (UK) »
Have you looked to see if there is a matching tree for this Family on Ancestry?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Puzzle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am on Ancestry myself.  If only he was called Arbuthnot or something.....

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Yes...I see your problem...you could try the directories here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU