Author Topic: William Ellis and Fanny Thackeray, Sheffield and Rotherham  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Chatcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ellis and Fanny Thackeray, Sheffield and Rotherham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello - that's very interesting and makes us some degree of cousins! William Elllis and Fanny Thack(e)ray were my mother's great-grandparents through their daughter Ann Ellis. I have been unable to trace the family any further back than William and Fanny, because it wasn't clear which of several William Ellis he was. I have his death certificate, will be happy to exchange any information on the family, Can I e-mail you?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
What great news for you both -- however Evanswa will need to send 2 more messages to this Board before you can exchange Private emails on here. (3 messages are required in total before a private message can be sent or received I think.)

Good Luck to you both.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Chatcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Evanswa: I can't find any record of a son John for "our" William and Fanny Ellis. They had a son reuben who emigrated to Canada and then USA, and a William born about 1856. Is it possible that your great-great-grandfather changed his name from William Ellis to John Ellis? There's also a record on the passenger list of the Cuzco for a William Ellis, butcher, who sailed from London to Brisbane in 1890. I'd be very interested to see the birth certificate you have found.

Offline Chatcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Soory, not Brisbane, Sydney.

Offline WVThackwray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thackwray surname hotspot is Yorkshire, England !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, I too am researching for our pioneering forefather William Thackwray born about 1779, most likely in Yorkshire region, married to Dorothy Pownall, I have learned more about the Pownall's origins in Salford & Chesire but the Thackwray origin still is elusive ?

So we have one Thackwray-Thackeray family tree in South Africa since 1820, wanting to find a DNA link to other family trees in Yorkshire & the world to solve this ?

- research history shows the variation in spellings of this surname has occurred often
eg:- Thackwray, Thackray, Thackway, Thackeray, Thackerray, Thackuray, Thackery, Thackerey, Thackary, Thackwraye, Thackrey, Thackory, Thacerey, Thakkerey, Thackara !!!

- in fact there are family trees with diffrerent spellings between father, son & siblings,
eg:- Read & look at this family tree example to see how quickly surnames can change within family trees :-  https://jon.thackray.org/family-tree/

- this surname name originated in the North of England,

- most of us will have at least one Thack???? antecedent born in Yorkshire, England !

Today we are scattered in the USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand
and we have difficulty researching our ancestors before 1800 due to these spelling variations on old hand written documents ...

Today we can easily solve the mysteries of our surname by a Y-DNA surname project, and link family branches globally and possibly prove our links to the migration of the Vikings !
Thackwray, Thackray, Thackway, Thackeray, Thackerray, Thackuray, Thackery, Thackerey, Thackary, Thackwraye, Thackrey, Thackory, Thacerey, Thakkerey, Thackara

Offline Chatcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 June 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi! Nice to hear from you. We might well be related, and indeed DNA might help. I have had mine tested by myheritage and yes, I have about 4% Viking which I assume comes from the Yorkshire ancestors. I don't know anything about Y-DNA surname project  - can you help me there?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 June 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
OK -- if either of you want to send a private message to the other and you don't know how--- just click on the other person's Username and the option will be there to send a PM.

You can exchange email addresses then if you want to do so. I wish you well with your research!

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.