Author Topic: Benzies/Simpson  (Read 2460 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Benzies/Simpson
« on: Friday 19 September 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Only yesterday I started looking up my family tree of the Greigs and was astonished at how much information people were able to provide for me on my fathers side. What I would dearly love to know now is a little more of my Mothers side of the family. Her name was Patricia Isabella Brown Simpson Greig, her maiden name being Simpson I feel sure that my 'Little Gran' Isabella who married twice to a ? Simpson who sadly died and then a William Stephens was a Benzies. I never met my Grandfather Simpson, so he must have died pre 1948 when my Little Gran lived in Torry. I would be most grateful for any information at all on this side of the family. The only other thing that I know is Little Grans sister was Aunt Lizzie who married a Duncan Robertson.
Thank you in anticipation
Lorna Greig
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Benzies/Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna  :)

Do you know when and where your gran died ?
I think her maiden name was BENZIE , possibly married to a STEPHEN.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Was in the seventies, trying to think back to when and she was living at Seaton, but believe she may have died in Forester Hill Hospital, Aberdeen. We were abroad at the time. I'll try and work out a little bit more. Thank You

Lorna (nee Greig)
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
The only likely Simpson / Benzie marriage in Scotland I can see is -
Arthur Wallace Simpson / Isabella Benzie 1925 Nigg , Kincardine(shire).

Your parents marriage certificate would hopefully confirm details.

There is a death for an Arthur Wallace Simpson 1953 Aberdeen Aberdeen , born c1902.

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Some have the parents of Isabella Benzie(s)(married to Arthur Wallace Simpson) as William Milne Benzie(s) and Elizabeth Carroll.

Scotlandspeople has an Isabella Stephen(other surnames Benzie , Simpson) death 1984 Aberdeen , Aberdeen , born c1907 , mother's maiden name CARROL.

ev

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
Ev,
Thank you for that, what an eye opener for me. Had not realised that she died that late on, actually thought it was in the seventies, but your information is right as we have looked back at our lives and worked it out. to find out her mother and father as well is a real bonus. As I said earlier I know that she had a sister Lizzie, but not sure if there were any more siblings. Also with Arthur her husband dying in 1953 its no wonder that I never knew him. Does it say when she married William Stephen?
Thanks very much for what you have found out I am quite chuffed with my basic family tree, and so quickly as well. Mind you a lot, lot more meat to put on the bones, but thanks to you I have some major bones.
Regards
Lorna
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
William Stephen / Isabella Benzie(or Simpson) marriage 1957 Aberdeen , Aberdeen is the only match that seems to fit.

Only looking at the index.

ev

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Ev, this has been fascinating and as I said, my tree is looking quite repectable now, just the meat to put onto it. Thanks

Lorna
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen