Author Topic: Brennan family of Kilkenny  (Read 8350 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brennan family of Kilkenny
« on: Saturday 20 September 14 06:34 BST (UK) »
Interested in Martin Brennan married Sarah Tobin c1830+-. Children so far Patrick, Martin, William and John may be daughter Margaret. Emigrated to Australia various times 1850+.  Origin could have been Muckale parish, not verified, shipping records hard to read.  Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Maxine
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan family of Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 14 07:28 BST (UK) »

The RootsIreland website search index shows a County Kilkenny church marrriage for Martin Brenan to Sally Tobin in 1828. It might be a possibility for your couple. Record content (transcribed) is pay to view, be aware that records of this era may contain very little information (eg. probably no father's details).

Also possibilities are the following County Kilkenny baptisms for parents input as Martin Brennan and Sarah or Sally Tobin: Patrick 1830; William 1833; Mary 1837; Martin 1839; Margaret 1843; John 1847; Michael 1854.   

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 07:40 BST (UK) »

Origin could have been Muckale parish, not verified, shipping records hard to read.

A possibility is the townland of Muckalee in the civil parish of Muckalee.  Here it is in the 6" OSI mapping series of 1837 - 1842, you can pan, resize, choose other maps etc:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,653730,667221,5,7

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
The children you mentioned are the right ones. Thanks for that, will look at  the map.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
The tithe applotment books show a small number of Brennans / Brenans occupying agricultural holdings over one acre in the civil (~ Church of Ireland) parish of Muckalee, one of them (a John Brennan) even in the townland of Muckalee itself in 1833, maybe related: 

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625702/004625702_00367.pdf

You can have a look around here:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
There are three Brennans (John, Geoffrey, and Daniel) in Griffith's Valuation for the townland of Muckalee, the print date was 1849 (survey not long before that). Also a Bridget Crennau in that townland (might be a mistranscription).

There are also quite a few Martin Brennans in the wider civil parish of Muckalee.

To search by name, click on this link:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

Edited to add: Having just reviewed my own posts, I'm probably fixating too much on Muckalee, unless the evidence you have at your end to tie in to Muckalee is convincing,  you might want to maintain a more open perspective than my last couple of posts.  The RootsIreland marriage / baptism records might give addresses / locations, but it's a gamble.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
There are several headstones in Muckalee cemetery with Brennan's, and some with Martin-John-Thomas-Paddy-James-Joseph-Mollie among others.
------
Jack

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks again everyone for the information. My interest in this family is a wide connection and two out of the males who arrived became very early mounted police men in the state of NSW and spent some of their time chasing bush rangers hence my interest.  I aim to write up their stories here but needed a bit of background of them, so thanks again but I have enough information now.

I can't stop saying thank you but express my gratitude to wonderful Rootschat people who spend a fair bit of time helping others.
Regards
Maxine

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 September 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
Back to the Brennan children. Been looking at shipping records.

Margaret, a sister says she is from Johns Well, Kilkenny. on Hornet arr 1859 with Martin and John

William also St Johns on Sabrina arr 1854, he is the right one.

Did find a Patrick who may be the right one but says Tullabe......gh Kilkenny on  Lord Stanley arr 1850

I see St Johns a parish but can't work out the Tull......

Patrick is the problem fellow.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. My guess is that the locations above would e close by to each other ??

Cheers
Cheers