Author Topic: Stuck on Greenstock, Stalbridge  (Read 2971 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck on Greenstock, Stalbridge
« on: Saturday 20 September 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
I am stuck on Elias Greenstock. He married Temperance Kimber (b1790 Stalbridge) in 1814 at Stalbridge. Temperance subsequently died in 1820 having given birth to John, Priscilla, Temeprance Jane and William in the meantime.

The name Greenstock appears mid 1760s in Stalbridge but there was also a number of Greenstock families over the Somerset border around Pitcombe/Horsington.

I have not been able to trace Elias in either area. I have no birth date or other family details.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on Greenstock, Stalbridge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hello radtstockjeff,

In the 1851 census, Elias Greenstock is living in Stalbridge with his sister and brother in law. The head of the household is James Habershom, aged 69. The wife of James Habershom is shown as Harriett Habershom, age 63 and born Stalbridge. Elias shows he is aged 60, a widower, a Brewer by occupation and that he was born Stalbridge.

That gives you a year of birth for Elias of c1791. It also shows he had a sister, Harriett, born c1788.

This should give you more to go on.

Jo.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo.  Off we go again.

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have the details, Elias Greenstock was buried in Stalbridge on 5 July 1864. He was aged 73. He died on 30 June 1864.

Judging from the Family Trees on Ancestry, it seems that people haven't traced his parents.

Jo

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
I have spent some time searching for Elias (and Henrietta's) parents but without success.
Henrietta was first married to a George Mead July 1810 and it seems that he died in 1813. Henrietta then married James Habersham in 1822.

Elias wife Temperance died after the birth of their fourth child and he never married again. In the 1861 Census it looks as though he was the Parish Clerk, a position which his son John held for forty years.

There are a number of possibilities for Elias' and Henrietta's origins, one of which might be that their births were never registered for whatever reason, or that they were taken into a Greenstock family having been abandoned or orphaned, but presumably there would be no official record of such action.

There was a family in Stalbridge, John and Priscilla (nee Jeans) Greenstock  with other children just a little older than Elias and Henrietta at around the relevant period. But without documents this link is just conjecture.

I need to visit Stalbridge again!

radstockjeff

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello radstockjeff,

It isn't an easy one to solve!

I found two people on Genes Reunited who had Elias Greenstock in their trees. I don't know if you have looked at this site.

I found a site which shows the marriages for Stalbridge from 1740-1850. You may have seen this already:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engdorse/Stalbridge/C.html

I noticed the marriage of John Greenstock to Priscilla Jeans on 16/02/1782. It shows they were of Stalbridge. This is the first time there is anyone by the name of Greenstock in this register. The Jeans family dominate the register throughout however.

On 25/12/1800, John Jeans married Ann Habersham, another connection with your family.

In the baptism registers:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engdorse/Stalbridge/A.html

The first Greenstock baptism is on 25/02/1782, George Greenstock, s/o John and Priscilla.

I cannot find another one, what details of their other children do you have?

What clinches it for me is the fact that the first born children of Elias and Temperance were named John and Priscilla. I would say that this gives a strong chance of John and Priscilla Greenstock being the parents of Elias. John is a common enough name but Priscilla is unusual.

My view would be that the Greenstock family had origins elsewhere and that John Greenstock came from another place before he married Priscilla. Question is where?

Have you looked to see if there is a either an obituary, or a Will for Elias? These might give some clues. I imagine that there would have been something written on him if he was the Parish Clerk.

I found a baptism for John Greenstock on 15/12/1753, s/o William, in Horsington, Somerset. There was a baptism for a Mary Greenstock, d/o Andrew, there in 1754. There seem to be Greenstock families in Charlton Horethorne around that time too.

There are 2 people on Genes Reunited who have an entry for John Greenstock born 1754, Stalbridge. Another 2 have John Greenstock born 1753, Horsington. Of the 39 entries for Greenstock around that time, most have them born Horsington.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Horsington/

The NBI has a burial for John Greenstock in Stalbridge on 4 July 1833, aged 83.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Family Tree on Ancestry which shows John Greenstock b1753, Horsington, to be the son of William Greystock b1706, North Petherton.

William Greystock married Annie Rose Paddock in Horsington in 1745, they also had a son, George, b1752. There are other children of this marriage. The person has posted a lovely portrait of William Greystock!

Jo.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 September 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo

Just found an interesting new "trail".

Temperance Kimber (there can't have been many with that name) b 1790 Isle of Wight 6th child of Joseph Kimber  married mary Butcher 1774 Freshwater . Joseph died 1818 House of Industry. Would that have been a "Workhouse?"

If this is the right Temperance, what is she doing in Stalbridge in 1814?

Will follow up your John Greystock et al and see what transpires there.

radstockjeff

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 09:42 BST (UK) »
A House of Industry would have been another name for a workhouse. Details of the sitation on the Isle of Wight can be found here:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/IsleOfWight/

I didn't have time to pursue a search under the name of Greystock yesterday. This is a name variation that wouldn't show up under a soundex search.

Have you asked the Dorset Family History Society about the extent of coverage of the parish registers for Stalbridge? It could be that there are gaps in the years and that is why there is no record for Elias.

http://www.dorsetfhs.org.uk/

Also, bear in mind that in those days, no parish register would be 100% complete. It was the custom for the vicar to keep notes of baptisms etc and these were often put in his pocket for inclusion in the parish register subsequently. Should the note be mislaid, then the baptism etc wouldn't have been entered.

Jo.