Author Topic: Parents on baptism and birth certificate  (Read 2270 times)

Offline cw6192

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents on baptism and birth certificate
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, thoughts, suggestions etc on the following, or come across similar.

I have the birth certificate for Francis Parker, born 1848 in Conder Hill, Tottington. This only shows his mother, Maria Parker.

I have also found his baptism register, birth date is also given and this matches but this states a father's name as well (James Parker) as well as Maria and there is no suggestion of any illegitimacy. In the same record set there is another that appears to be illegitimate and both parents are given (including both surnames) and others were only the mother is given.

Now I've come across grandfather's names on marriage certificates of people who were born illegitimately but I can't say that this is his grandfather (Maria's grandparents were John and Jane and on the 1851 and 1861 census Francis is living with his grandparents, John and Jane Parker). Francis gives John as his father on his marriage certificate and Maria (Robinson) is a witness.

However, Maria also had a brother called James and married a James Robinson about 18 years later.

So, anyone any thoughts?

Gratefully received.
C :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents on baptism and birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Perhaps Maria just wanted to seem more respectable for a Church baptism. I am assuming that Parker is her maiden name?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
What occupation is given for James Parker on Francis' baptism record?  Is it something that might apparently necessitate him being away from home and, therefore, unlikely to throw any suspicion as to why he wasn't present at the baptism?  [does this make sense?]

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at 1851 census, Maria (Marria?) is unmarried and living with her parents.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cw6192

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

I did wonder if it was for 'respectable' purposes, alternatively I wondered if maybe an instance of incest(!)

Yes, Parker is Maria's maiden name.

The baptism register has Jame's occupation as a cotton spinner, so can't imagine that he'd do much travelling.

Yes, Maria is living with her parents in 1851, James (brother) isn't and I'm not sure whether I have found him yet in 1851. I have a James Parker who I think it might be, right age and location, which suggests he was married to Alice (I have found his marriage to Alice Whittle in 1854 but haven't seen the full document so only have basic info) and his occupation is a piecer at a cotton mill. In 1841 he is living with his parents but no occupation is given. Maria and James' father John in 1841 is working in the cotton industry and in 1851 he is a farmer and cotton spinner.

So it could be a bit of a mix of everyone :)

Thank you again
C :)