Author Topic: Burials in Douglas - Bannatyne  (Read 2328 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Burials in Douglas - Bannatyne
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have easy access to burial records or post-1855 MIs in Douglas?

Jeanie Bannatyne was born in Douglas in 1846, daughter of Thomas Bannatyne and Jeanie Brown. Thomas was a farmer and railway contractor, and farmed at Springhill, Douglas. In 1871 Jeanie married Benjamin Peach at Springhill. They had six children, three of whom died young, and I would like to find out where Jeanie and those three children are buried. They are not buried with Benjamin Peach in Grange Cemetery in Edinburgh.

The first to die was four-month-old Thomas Bannatyne Peach, who died at Springhill on 6 January 1881. Then Christina, aged 4, died in 1883. Jeanie died in 1884, aged 37, then Jemima, aged 10, in 1887, all in Edinburgh.

I wonder whether perhaps the baby Thomas was buried in a family plot in Douglas, and when his mother and sisters died they too were buried there with him and with her family?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Douglas - Bannatyne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.lanarkshirefhs.org.uk/mideath-pubs.html

Bear in mind there may not be a headstone

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind there may not be a headstone

Thank you.

Yes, I am aware of that possibility. That is why I put 'burial records' rather than 'MIs' first in my original post  ;)

If anyone out there has a copy of the relevant booklet, I would be grateful for a lookup to save me waiting for it to arrive by post.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bravaal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have the Douglas death records published by the Lanarkshire FHS and there are no Peach listed. I have also checked the MI's for Douglas St Brides again nothing, and a scan through the OPR's again lists no Peach.

Bravaal
 from Douglas
All family names in South Lanarkshire

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bravaal. Much appreciated.

I suppose they must all be in Edinburgh then - but odd that they would take the baby all the way back there from Douglas, when they had only lived in Edinburgh for about a year.

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
This may be a silly suggestion but have you tried looking for MI's under Bannatyne rather than Peach?.....there are lots of them buried in Douglas
Hackland.....Orkney/ Leith/ Worldwide
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Mc/Mac Donnell.....Inverness-shire
Crawford.......Douglas Lanarkshire/Newhaven Edinburgh
Keith......Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire/Perthshire/
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
This may be a silly suggestion but have you tried looking for MI's under Bannatyne rather than Peach?.....there are lots of them buried in Douglas

It's not at all silly, and it's why I headed the query with Bannatyne, even though it's really the Peach family that I'm researching. I'm sure Bravaal will have checked the lairs owned by Bannatynes.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 September 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Peach is in the death index of the St Brides Churchyard booklet

I only have the index pages

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Aha! Does it just list the surname, or can you deduce how many people of that name there might be there?