Author Topic: Carruchan Cottage, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire  (Read 5774 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carruchan Cottage, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me locate this cottage. My 3x great-grandfather and his family lived there in 1871 and I would like know if it still stands.
Thank you
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carruchan Cottage, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Pollymann have you tried google ?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the map links - I was looking far too near to Dumfries. For the later map can you tell me what place name you used as I would like to look at the sheet to the east of this one. It looks like the cottage/s no longer exist although after looking at the old maps I was able to find the area on a modern ordnance survey map. Perhaps I'll just have a drive there when I visit the area in November.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Go to

http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-2nd-and-later/index.html

Select 'as zoomable sheet.....'

In the county box on the left, select Kirkcudbright* and then Troqueer* in the Parish.

You will them bring up a series of grids superimposed on the modern map. Select whichever square that you want and then select a map from the right hand side.  You can zoom in and out of the resulting map.  You can select another map by returning to the grid and re-selecting from the right hand selection or from another square.

Gadget

*PS  or Dumfries and whichever parish
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget.
Pauline

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carruchan Cottage, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire - Completed thank you
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 October 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information

Offline NedStewart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Pollymann, in the 1901 census I found a relative living in this house. He was a Stewart of the Cairnsmore clan. Is that family one of your interests?

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No, my family were Hendersons who lived at Carruchan Cottage around 1871 before moving to the Dalton area. Their daughter, Elizabeth was born there in 1870 and they appear in the 1871 census there.
Pauline