Author Topic: any one like a challenge with ralph wheatley ????  (Read 4357 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any one like a challenge with ralph wheatley ????
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
i have been sent this and cant make head nor tail of it!!!!!not even sure they are travelling or show folk.anyone want to have a go at untangling the mess please do!!
ralph wheatley married ann lockwood crambe yorks 8/4/1809
fhl film number 918418
ralph first married mary Thompson b about 1774, at crambe yorks I think they married 8/2/1802 she was age 31 westow yorks,they had 3 children
bethinia bethony b 1803 ann b 1805 Martha b 180?
he then married ann lockwood 7yrs later they had 6 children
harriet b1811 /Thomas b1814 /jane b1817 /mary b1819 /jane b 1822 /sarah b 1826/.all born westow yorks,
ann lockwood is shown on 1841 census age 55 living in mennythorpe yorks. they also seemed to crop up in pickering yorks,
sarah wheatley married William craggs 1848 pickering.
a Charlie wheatley living in westow yorks married Rebecca ????,
somewhere it cropped up they did seasonal work and they seemed to travel a lot pos around markets as hawkers not confirmed and it is thought ralph wheatley has brothers john and Charlie,
William hardistys parents were Robert hardisty b 1822 fewston yorks and ann binns b 1800
1911 census fred wheatley b 1874 is living with parents in malton he married annie snell b 1874 kirton in Lindsey Lincolnshire.
ada hardisty married john henry Stacey 1889.
earliest record of a William hardisty 1580 hampswaite yorks.
there is also a homer-kemp wheatley no details;
I hope this helps you it is confusing me it makes you wonder how many relations there are it would be interesting to know if they did travel around Yorkshire I know the hardistys were a travelling family cherry said so are the staceys and she has heard of a traveller by the name of binns it would be nice to have things sorted at the moment it seems only my nan ada wheatley is confirmed I hope this isn't to muddly only I think you can do a much better job than me some of the dates might not b 100% accurate but thanks for having another look
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: any one like a challenge????
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Marriage
Charles Wheatley and Rebecca Scott Oct 1866 Thirsk 9D/788/276.
1871 Census Charles and Rebecca are at Eddlethorpe Yorks. Charles is an Ag Lab and they have 3 young children. Jane 3, William 2 and Ann 4 months. Charles born Mennythorpe Yorks  about 1847.
1881 The family are in Pelton Durham and Charles is now a coal miner, mis transcribed as Whealley.

1851 Mennythorpe Yorkshire
Ann WEATLOW Head widow 55 Pauper  b Crambe
with grandchildren Ralph aged 18, Elen age 7, Charles age 5 and Edwin age 2.

1841 Mennythorpe
Ann is with her husband (!) Ralph he is aged 70 b about 1771. They also have Harriot age 25, Sarah 15, Ralph 8, George 6 Margaret 3 and Alfred aged 10 months. No relationships as it is the 1841.

The Marriage's of Ralph Wheatley and his children's baptisms are all on Family search.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 September 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
many thanks.that goes back a long way.i dont think they are romany origin though do you?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 08:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a one name Hardistry researcher who would like to link all the Hardistry names up
http://www.hardistyfamilytree.com/
Pretty mind boggling

Hardisty - name from a place in Yorkshire, in the parish of Fewston. The placename is recorded in 1379 as Hardolfsty, from the Old English personal name Heardwulf.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 15 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I have been contemplating for a while about posting a topic on this section of the site about a branch of my family who were itinerant agricultural labourers from this same area but not so sure if this branch is Romany. But they married into some Hardistys , some of the Hardistys from the area were besom makers and who also might have been itinerant.
I know there are some Romany Swales family in the Hampsthwaite PRs going back to the 1700s, maybe if you look into their trees there might be some info/clues. York has a few Romany Families too
I think some Romany from that area ended up in housing in Leeds, living in the Hunslet/city centre area. Some of my same ag labs ended up there and their cousins were metal brokers and horse traders in the early 1900s (according to court reports)

Not much to go on I know, but its the same "Hampsthwaite, Fewston, Crambe, Thirsk" and the other areas mentioned. All around there

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
I have been contemplating for a while about posting a topic on this section of the site about a branch of my family who were itinerant agricultural labourers from this same area but not so sure if this branch is Romany. But they married into some Hardistys , some of the Hardistys from the area were besom makers and who also might have been itinerant.
I know there are some Romany Swales family in the Hampsthwaite PRs going back to the 1700s, maybe if you look into their trees there might be some info/clues. York has a few Romany Families too
I think some Romany from that area ended up in housing in Leeds, living in the Hunslet/city centre area. Some of my same ag labs ended up there and their cousins were metal brokers and horse traders in the early 1900s (according to court reports)

Not much to go on I know, but its the same "Hampsthwaite, Fewston, Crambe, Thirsk" and the other areas mentioned. All around there

Another family who married into the branch of my family I mention above (Ingleson, probably bigamously on their part),  was a family called Betts. The Betts were originally from Norfolk . "Pot hawkers" and "travellers with swing boats". They ended up in Bradford (Yorkshire, West Riding)

Did you find anything else out about the families you were looking for? Especially the Hardistys ?

Offline Linda Beasley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: any one like a challenge with ralph wheatley ????
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 15 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am also related to Ralf Wheatley. Great great great grandfather. Harriet is my great great grandmother. Her son George Spinks Wheatley , is my great grandfather. His son Robert is my grandfather. If you have anything you can share with me it would be awesome. George Spinks Wheatly and he's wife Mary Scott moved to Australia. So I'm Aussie . The only info I can find is on ancestry.com. I would be so grateful for any story. Or info

Offline halkynites

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: any one like a challenge with ralph wheatley ????
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Ive given it a go.
Some of the children in the 1841 census are Harriets children. Ralph, George Spinks, Margaret and Alfred Spinks.
In 1851 Harriet is in the Malton Union Workhouse with Alfred and another child Joseph born 1844. George is a servant to the Medd family in Old Malton, Ralph has gone walkabout - no trace. Sarah has married William Craggs and Margaret is a servant to the Wray family in Mennythorpe. Ralph Wheatley and Ann Wheatley (Lockwood) died in 1848 and 1851 respectively and the family fragmented.
In 1861 Alfred is a servant at Thorpefield House Hayton. No sign of the others. Ralph Wheatley was already married (1855 to Jane Hobson) and was in America and had two children there - James and Minnie Ann before returning to the UK. On the marriage certificate he had Leeds as his address and his job was merchant. Father Ralph Wheatley, farmer. No Leeds connections fit the bill. Going to America as a merchant kind of makes sense.
In 1871 Ralphs family are in Thornaby (South Stockton). No sign of Ralph again but he appears to have owned a private running track in Thornaby. Harriet is married to Henry Hood and Ann Craggs (niece), daughter of Sarah Craggs is staying with them in Heworth York. Joseph is in Tadcaster and Alfred Spinks Wheatley is in York. Both are married. Alfred's middle name is Spinks presumably after his father George Spinks, a bargeman from Mennythrope. George Spinks Wheatley, Harriets son Georges name,  kind of gives it away.
In 1881 Ralph is in 5 Queens Street North Ormesby, Alfred has moved to Stockton on Tees and Joseph is in Selby. Harriet is in Shipton, Great Ouseburn and is taking in children as a nursery.
In 1891 Jane Wheatley is in 10 Cleveland Street South Bank and Alfred and Joseph are in Stockton and York again through to 1911. Ralph had died in 1882 and Jane died in 1895. Her son Ralph Ben Wheatley, my great grandfather, was living in South Bank  in 1901 and 1911.