Author Topic: Dr. Robert Jones, Castle Street, Salisbury 1788 to 1794  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr. Robert Jones, Castle Street, Salisbury 1788 to 1794
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out more about a Robert Jones M.D. who I believe married a Mary Williams.

I am not sure when or where they were married but her death was announced in the Hereford Journal of the 19 Feb 1794 as follows:- Wednesday se'nnight died at Salisbury in the 55th year of her age, Mrs. Mary Jones wife of Robert Jones M. D. of Carmarthen.

I have also seen an advert in Sept 1788 in the Salisbury and Wiltshire Gazette and in Oct 1788 in the Bath chronicle for paid lectures that a Dr. Robert Jones M.A. and M.D. of Castle Street Salisbury. He intended to charge 5 guineas if he could get 20 people to attend a lecture and appears to be available at home for consultations on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 10.00 till 3.00 at a cost of ten shillings and sixpence.
In these adverts Robert Jones describes himself as a member of the Royal Society of Antiquarians of Edinburgh (the Royal Society in Edinburgh I believe), and the Society for the encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, Adelphi, London (Royal Society of Arts I believe).

Any help to find out more about Dr. Robert Jones and especially when he married, was born and died would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Street Directory for Salisbury 1770 to 1800
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 October 14 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could anyone let me know if there are street directories from 1770 to 1800 for Salisbury as I am trying to locate when Dr. Robert Jones lived in Castle Street in Salisbury.

Thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline veritasuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Robert Jones, Castle Street, Salisbury 1788 to 1794
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
For the latest information on Mary Williams, the mistress of Robert Colebrooke and mother to many of his children, she married Dr Robert Jones MA of Carmarthen in 1782.
Marriage Bonds and Fiats, 1782. Sep. 9. Robert Jones, doctor of Physyck, and Mrs. Mary Williams, both of the parish of St. Peter, Carmarthen.
Sep. 10 1782. Robert Jones, M.D., and Mrs. Mary Williams. Married in the chapel of Llanllwch. L (Licence). (Note; the Chapel of St Mary, Llanllwch, a chapelry of St Peter Carmathen at that time)
source: The Annual Magazine of the Geneological Society of West Wales Vol. VIII. 1919-20 EDITED BY FRANCIS GREEN CARMARTHEN : PRINTED BY W. SPURRELL & SON 1921.

It is interesting to note that Mary Williams styled herself Mrs, no doubt because she was was mother to many children at the time of this marriage.  The marriage at Llanllwch would have been out of the public eye- Robert Colebrooke was still alive, albeit living in exile in France. 

Mary died in 1794 “On Wednesday se'nnight (ie Wed 5 Feb 1794) died at Salisbury in the 55th year of her age, Mrs. Mary Jones wife of Robert Jones M. D. of Carmarthen”.   Source. Hereford Journal 19 February 1794.

She was buried 6 days later. Wilshire Memorial Inscription Index has:
St Thomas, Salisbury: Mary Jones wife of Robert buried 11 February 1794.

Robert Jones, as is well known, was a "Brunonian" physician who had studied under Dr John Brown (1735/6-1788) at Edinburgh, and gave lectures on this approach to medicine at Salisbury (where he lived in the 1780's and 1790's at Castle Street) and elsewhere, in addition to authoring two books on the subject.  He also held his surgeries at Castle Street on Tuesdays and Saturdays, 10am to 3 pm. 

Robert Jones rose to infamy when he contradicted the advice of senior doctors at the sickbed of his friend John Braham Isaacson (1759-1826) in 1782, surreptitiously dosing him with Laudanum. The latter survived to become Vicar of Wicken and lived to 67.

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Robert Jones, Castle Street, Salisbury 1788 to 1794
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Veritas.
Best wishes
Richard