Author Topic: John Morrison a Whaler from Aberdeenshire  (Read 5294 times)

Offline historiankim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Morrison a Whaler from Aberdeenshire
« on: Monday 22 September 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm totally new here and this is my first post.  My great Grandfather was John Morrison (b 1870 d 1919).  He was illegitimate, born in Old Deer Aberdeenshire and his father was George Thomson.  Mother was Catherine Morrison.  Seems that he went by "Morrison" all of his life.  I have photos of him possibly in the Arctic with some Eskimos or native people.  One photo is taken near the wheel of his ship.  Relatives have related that he was a whaler.  Any ideas as to how I can find out where these were taken?  Haven't had much luck on Ancestry with this or any of the mariner sights.  Thanks for any help you can offer!  PS  Thanks to a newly discovered cousin for the information that I DO have.   :)
Morrison, Morison, Strachan, Thomson, Johnston, Ewen, McMillan, MacMillan, Darling

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Morrison a Whaler from Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuz!  :D
Welcome to RootsChat!
I've had lots of help here for my Morrisons' so I'm sure someone here wil help us find more about John's line of work.
He lived in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire for most of his life, and on the 1911 Census, is described as "seaman, whale fishing", so it's not just a family story! Cheers, Anne
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline if6094

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
hi maybe you could try peterhead fishermans mission, as this town used to be a whaling port.
mcmurray, boyd, burnett,phillips, commyn,odair,IRELAND
cairley, blane, young,caddies,jenkins,Scotland/Ireland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Peterhead has it's own genealogy society, called Family History Society of Buchan. They would be able to help. :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline historiankim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much!  I will try both avenues.  I have 5 photos which look to be c 1900.  They show my Great Grandfather on a ship and also on land with some "Eskimo" families.  Not sure where he was or what ship, etc.  Also, why did someone have a camera? This has been a family mystery for many many years. 
Thank you for your suggestions!
Morrison, Morison, Strachan, Thomson, Johnston, Ewen, McMillan, MacMillan, Darling

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly enough, the whaling at Aberdeen stopped circa 1864, and at Peterhead, 1892, so John must have been quite young while whaling, having been born in 1870.

Regards

Malky

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 06:43 GMT (UK) »
This site is quite good, describing, Peterhead and Whaling:

"The ships then headed either north to the Greenland Sea to hunt Greenland Right Whales or west, across the Atlantic and then north into the Davis Strait to hunt Atlantic Bowhead whales"

http://www.nefa.net/nefajnr/archive/peopleandlife/sea/tale.htm
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline historiankim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you whiteout7!   It is interesting.  I have contacted the Family History Society of Buchan and they are trying to help me out as well.  I do have more information:  The Aberdeen Daily Journal, January 1904 mentions my grandfather, John T. Morrison as a witness in a case involving a lack of lime juice on board a ship he was on.  This places him from July to September 1903 on the ketch "Albert" which travelled from Dundee to the Davis Straits.  Can't verify if the photos are from this trip or not.  Any help or insight into this is more than welcome.  Would love to know if there are any logs available of this trip. 

Offline historiankim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Correction:  My GREAT grandfather, John T. Morrison.