Author Topic: Mary O'Sullivan and/or father Timothy O'Sullivan - Killarney  (Read 5126 times)

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary O'Sullivan and/or father Timothy O'Sullivan - Killarney
« on: Tuesday 23 September 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to help a friend discover more about her grandmother.  She was Mary Agnes O'Sullivan born end of 1900.  Mary claimed to come from Killarney.  Mary apparently came to England age 17 (on her own) and went into domestic service.  According to her marriage cert 5 July 1924 in Coventry her father is shown as Timothy O'Sulliivan deceased.  No former occupation was given for Timothy.  It would seem that Mary - is Agnes her confirmation name? - was the eldest of 11 children - 10 girls and 1 boy.  I was hoping to find Mary and father Timothy on 1901 census when Mary would show as only a few months old or on the 1911 showing Mary as a 10 year old.  This I have been unable to do.  Has anyone any idea what else I can do to discover this elusive pair.  I have no idea what Timothy's wife was called or how old Timothy was.  The only information is that he was deceased by 1924 , alive in 1901 and hopefully as he had 11 children still alive in 1911.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary O'Sullivan and/or father Timothy O'Sullivan - Killarney
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Sullivan rather than O sullivan- There is one possibility in the 1901 &1911 census- doesn't fit all the details you have - but it is likely if Mary was born c.1900 that the younger children were born after the 1911 census . Admit this is a long shot!!
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Killarney/Ballahacommane/1414934/
Just another thought - I'm assuming she was Catholic Is the marriage cert a civil record as a church record may give both parents names.
annclare
there are some baptisms for the family in the census on www.irish genealogy.ie
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/6671d70331150
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Annclare - thank you for trying.  Unfortunately this is not the correct family, neither is the baptism.  Mary (Ages) O'Sullivan was born either November or December 1900 and if the Irish census was taken at the first half of the year she would have only been a few months old on the 1901 and 10 on 1911.  As for the baptism I am afraid that Mary was born 1899 not 1900 and the Mary I asm looking for was the eldest child followed by 9 sisters and 1 brother - don't know what sequence.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Deleated
Sorry had the wrong Census year on the search

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
Do you know any of the other children's names?
Only one I can see that fits the bill is in Cork!
Are you sure it was only 11 children could some have died?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the church? where she was married to see if her mothers name is recorded in the register.

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi - not unfortunately I do not know any of the other girls' names but the one boy was John though whereabouts in the 11 children he came I have no idea.

I had not thought of contacting the church to see if her motgher's name was listed in their records.  I didn;'t realise quite honestly that both parents names would be noted.  Thanks for that tip.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
When Irish Genealogy get it's Civil Records back online which will hopefully be soon, the mothers maiden name will be listed on most births from 1900 to 1913, on all from then on, so if you hang on you may be able to find John, Mary and 9 others that way.

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sinann - hopefully it will be soon because I seem to have exhausted all other avenues and at the moment seems an impossible task finding this Mary and her kin.  Thank you so much for trying to help