Author Topic: Welbourn  (Read 4134 times)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welbourn
« on: Tuesday 23 September 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered a death notice in the local newspaper of Beverley in the East Riding of Yorkshire for a Thomas Welbourn, late of Etton (a village just north of Beverley), who is said to have died in Ballinora in May 1860. No age is given.

I have for years been trying to find out what happened to my great-great grandfather Thomas Welbourn of Etton, a bricklayer, who simply disappears from the record after 1851, leaving his young children with relatives. (His wife had died shortly beforehand).  I cannot think of any reason why he might have gone to Ireland, but it has to be worth investigating.

Can anyone tell me anything about the man who died in Ballinora?  I'll be forever grateful for any information at all.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welbourn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately civil registration of deaths didn't start until 1864. It's possible he went over to work in Cork-
http://kieranmccarthy.ie/wordpress/?p=2467
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Welbourn is not an Irish name but was his Mum possibly Irish ?

Tara

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I have found no Irish connections on either side of the family well back into the early 18th century. Both are solidly Yorkshire stock.

He could well have gone abroad to work - I did wonder about emigration, but there's no evidence - but why Ireland?  Why Cork?  I'm sure Ireland already had plenty of bricklayers.

An apology - I made a typo in my original message.  In fact, my Thomas disappears before the 1861 census, not 1851. His youngest child was born in March 1857; his wife died in Jan 1859. Her death certificate and her gravestone imply he was alive then, though the cert does call him a farmer - combining jobs isn't unusual in rural communities, I suppose.  He didn't register her death.

A very frustrating business.  Ballinora has been my best lead so far.

Thanks again.
Joyce

Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
If you look at the link I posted earlier you'll see that the area was having a bit of a building boom in the mid-1800s and since Thomas was a bricklayer it might explain why he went there (if the Ballinora death is your Thomas).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
My apologies - I meant to go back to look at the link and forgot.  Indeed, it does seem possible that this could be my Thomas.

I note also that there was a British military presence there, too, maybe with civil contractors (I don't think Thomas would be joining the ranks at nearly 40).  I'll check whether the local regiment had contingents in Ireland at the time.

Thank you very much.
Joyce

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 21:39 BST (UK) »

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
Dathai

This is fabulous!  It is indeed my great-great grandfather.  I could never have believed it.

Thank you very, very much!  And thanks to everyone else for your contributions and help.

All the best
Joyce

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
Isn't it a great result  :)

Well done dathai!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk