Author Topic: Welbourn  (Read 4135 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welbourn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
My pleasure Joyce.

Due to the dates given i was looking to see if there was a chance he might appear on Griffiths Valuations,there are a lot of vacant properties in the Ballincollig area and it could have been any one of them.
£800 a tidy sum in those days.

Griffiths Valuations
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Cheers
Dathai

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 14 22:49 BST (UK) »

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
I think he would probably have felt quite at home there.  It's very much like the Yorkshire Wolds.  I wonder what brought him there, though.  Don't think I'll ever find out - there are no family papers, at least, none that came down to my immediate family.  I'm descended from his eldest son, but he had a huge family and any that did survive could have ended up with any of Thomas's grandchildren.  In due course, I'll trawl through the local papers here to see if there's anything that might have prompted him to go.

But I am delighted to have what I thought was an intractable problem solved - and so quickly!
All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 23:14 BST (UK) »

That is a fantastic result.   If you want to see if there was any reference to his death in the Cork
newspapers at that time you could contact the Cork County Library,Local Studies section. They might be able to do a search for you.  They are always very helpful.  Their email address is

reference.library@corkcoco.ie

Worth a try.

Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Celtic Liberty, As you say, it's definitely worth a try.  I've spent so long tracking him down, I can't neglect any lead.  I'm also trying the Church of Ireland for a burial place.

All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 12:59 BST (UK) »

The Carrigrohane Union of Parishes might be able to help you.   I know some people from Waterfall
area and also the military barracks at Ballincollig have been buried at St. Peters church, Carrigrohane.   

This is the link to their site -

http://www.cupcork.ie/aboutus/contact-us/   

They have always been very helpful when I have contacted them in the past.   At least you have the date of death for your ancestor so that will be very helpful.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 October 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this, too.  It's amazing how many possible sources of information there are!  Will follow up.
All the best
Joyce

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to complete this subject, for the interest of all those who contributed ideas.

Thanks to the kindness and tenacity of a lady in Ireland, who undertook to search church records, I now know that Thomas was buried at Athnowen in the parish of Ovens. His grave is still there and I have photographs of it.  He is also mentioned in the preacher's book as being attended by a member of the church on 17 May 1860 and dying three days later.

Many thanks to all.
Joyce

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 21:14 BST (UK) »

Joyce it was so nice of you to give us an update on how you got on with your search.

Sometimes we help people out and never hear how the search progressed.

Delighted you had success in tracing your ancestor.

All the best,

Mary
Celtic Liberty,