Author Topic: What time period did English become the language for people under the landsker..  (Read 5664 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What time period did English become the language for people under the landsker..
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Griffi :)

There is a book you could buy,The Landsker Boarderlands,Its History & Landscape,you may find interesting & helpful.

Kind regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What time period did English become the language for people under the landsker..
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it helps, but I have a Mary Griffiths born 1862 in Eglwyswrw, Pembs, and she and her 3 children were recorded as Welsh speaking (in Pontypridd) at the 1891 census
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Vague thoughts -
 Southern Pembrokeshire was settled by English-speakers from the Middle Ages - so possibly your ancestors NEVER spoke Welsh - it would depend on where they originated. And of course Flemish weavers were brought into the area in the later Middle Ages, so they would be very unlikely to have any Welsh language, they would have learned English (unless their descendants later moved to the north of the county). But a family name like Griffiths sounds quite Welsh.....since Saundersfoot is quite near the Carms border, maybe they were even from Carmarthenshire originally?                         
Also just wanted to say that the Landsker isn't set in stone, it's more of a broad area than a line - and Welsh-speakers would be found on both sides of it.

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 September 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
A couple of observations.  In Pembrokeshire families I've looked at, it some men in families in the english speaking part marry women from families in the welsh speaking part. 

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 September 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Also, in some famiies it looks as though speaking both welsh and english was useful because of their occupation eg grocers, drapers.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 September 14 16:25 BST (UK) »
Welsh Newspapers on line

There's an article in the Pembroke County Guardian, 30 Nov 1906, that draws on George Owen's original work.

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 September 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
Vague thoughts -
 Southern Pembrokeshire was settled by English-speakers from the Middle Ages - so possibly your ancestors NEVER spoke Welsh - it would depend on where they originated. And of course Flemish weavers were brought into the area in the later Middle Ages, so they would be very unlikely to have any Welsh language, they would have learned English (unless their descendants later moved to the north of the county). But a family name like Griffiths sounds quite Welsh.....since Saundersfoot is quite near the Carms border, maybe they were even from Carmarthenshire originally?                         
Also just wanted to say that the Landsker isn't set in stone, it's more of a broad area than a line - and Welsh-speakers would be found on both sides of it.

Hi yes, thanks for your thoughts

just tracing one of the siblings that lived till the 1891 census it seems she spoke both so it's quite possible they did speak both then

Personally I would doubt that they were not a welsh speaking family originally but then again it is possible

it's also possible that they moved to the area from anywhere in west wales although the earliest birth in this line is John Griffiths in 1814..

A couple of observations.  In Pembrokeshire families I've looked at, it some men in families in the english speaking part marry women from families in the welsh speaking part. 

Drosybont

yes I am beginning to think perhaps thats what happened at one stage, although I have read quite the contradictory that-intermixing was frowned upon- but then again mine were commoners lol

Hello Griffi :)

There is a book you could buy,The Landsker Boarderlands,Its History & Landscape,you may find interesting & helpful.

Kind regards
omega

Ooh, great I will look into that one