Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)George Mara Bruce  (Read 6700 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)George Mara Bruce
« on: Thursday 25 September 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
George Mara Bruce was born in 1913 and he accidentally drowned Nov 2 1942 Peebleshire,Scotland.
Death Cert says ...Ash Tree Pool River,Tweedhear Watherburn,Horseburgh Castle

His death was registered at Traquair,Peebles Nov 10 1942.

He was married to ,Margaret Marshall.

Question:Does anyone have access to a possible newspaper Obit?
Question:What became of his wife ,Margaret "Marshall"Bruce & were there any wee children left behind.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Mara Bruce
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 September 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello ajjbcc,

Did you get Margaret’s name from George’s death cert?  I ask because nothing is coming up for their marriage on scotlandspeople.  They do however show a marriage in 1936 for George Mara Bruce and Margaret CMH Moore, Glencorse, Midlothian.  It’s possible the informant/recorder of George's death made a mistake!

The Peebles Library have digitalised the Peeblesshire News from 1888 – 2011 – might be worth contacting them:
http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/news/article/444/peeblesshire_newspaper_archive_digitised

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Just to add:

Margaret CMH Moore was born in Lanarkshire in 1912

Margaret CM Bruce, other surname Moore, born 1913 died 1994 in Renfrewshire

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Can only access a tiny snippet of this article without a subscription to the site.  Likely the date you have; 2 Nov 1942 was the date of the inquest, not the death.

The Scotsman, Wednesday 4th November, 1942 page 6:
….drowned on 15th October 1942, GEORGE MARA BRUCE, aged 29 years, beloved husband of Margaret Moore, Horsburgh Castle Cottages, Peebles, and eldest son of ……..

http://archive.scotsman.com/search/results/1942-01-01/1942-12-31?basicsearch=bruce&somesearch=bruce&exactsearch=false&sortorder=dayrecent&page=7

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Brigau,
          Thank you so much for your reply & info.Yes,I got her name from George Mara Bruce's death cert. & with your info I can fill in some blanks. I will go to the said website and (use my plastic) to get his Obit.
I had in my notes that he was thrown from a horse while crossing the (Ash Tree River) from Horseburgh Castle.
     It is always amazing what lengths we will go to,to tie up some loose ends.
Again thank you so much….Cheers from BC.,Canada

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
Here's another quick snip from the Scotsman:

Friday 16 October 1942 page 3
…for Peebles, yesterday.  George Mair Bruce, ploughman (29) was drowned.  The horse was observed struggling towards the bank by a neighbouring……..

http://archive.scotsman.com/search/results/1942-01-01/1942-12-31?basicsearch=george%20mara%20bruce&somesearch=george%20mara%20bruce&exactsearch=true&sortorder=dayrecent&page=5

cheers

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 September 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
More........

If you’ve not already found them, there are several trees on Ancestry, that include your George Mara Bruce & Margaret Campbell Marshall Horne Moore. Some trees are private but others public, so you can see lots of wonderful photographs and certificates!  Margaret was born 5 June 1913 to parents James Moore, a Tram Car Conductor in Glasgow and Ada Elizabeth Rayne who were married in 1903.  Margaret died in the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley in 1994, and in answer to your initial query, yes there were 3 children from her brief marriage, 2 girls and a boy.  If you have access to Ancestry and search for any of these names you will easily find the trees. 

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 September 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Wow…You are a gem…Thank you so much for your time and research…I will follow all this up.It is always amazing how much people do respond. I always myself try to pass things forward as well.
    Cheeers Ann

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Br1gau
           Are you related to this family that I have been researching? Just curious..
You say 3 children that George & Margaret had….Obit says 5 children. (Oct 16 1942,Scotsman pg.3)
 Now I am really curious…
        Again thank you..   Ann