Author Topic: Griffiths, Moore; Manx Marriage, further details needed?  (Read 5292 times)

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local to Essex Records Office.
    • View Profile
Griffiths, Moore; Manx Marriage, further details needed?
« on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi guys! I am trying to connect my Manx family together. I have index records, but have been unable to fill in details. The family is that of John Griffiths, Married to Elizabeth (P?) Moore, on 12 June 1864
Children are:
  • Robert John, b 1865
  • Edward Owen, b 4 Jan 1867
  • William A(rthur) b 4 March 1870
In later census data, Robert John gives his place of birth as Glen Maye, (He married a Manxwoman, Miriam Moore in Manchester..
Edward Owen is later found (1891) living on the mainland, at Barrow-in-Furness

Now, John Griffiths' POB is given in census data as "WALES" (1871) and "North Wales"(1881)
What would be the best way to pin him down to an individual? The records seem to be from German, Kirk-German or Peel. Can I see parish or other records anywhere? Baptisms of the children, or the Marriage?
Elizabeth is clearly given as Elizabeth P in 1881, but a different initial in 1871?

(From census, 1871 RG10/5771 Michael St, Peel)
Also her DOB is variously 1837, 1831 and 1833. Unless, of course John made a habit of marrying various ladies named Elizabeth!
I have read 'somewhere' that the records of the IOM religious institutions are held by the LDS(?) Can I see them at a LDS family history centre? Does every centre hold a copy, or do I have to pre-order? I have also read that they can be purchased on CD, from the LDS in Salt Lake City, for pennies, is this true?
Griffiths, Moore (Isle of Man) Parry (Manchester and god knows where!) Gooch (Hitcham, Suffolk) Clark(e) (London? and unknown) Sampson (London and possibly Brighton and Manchester)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths, Moore; Manx Marriage, further details needed?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
What information, precisely, are you looking for?

Civil Registration on the Isle of Man didn't start until 1870's and 1880's, so you won't find a Marriage Certificate.

Good websites for Isle of Man are:
www.imuseum.im
www.manxbmd.com
www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/
www.iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonBMD/Main_Site_index.html

The marriage entry, from www.imuseum.im, says:
12th June 1864  at German
John Griffiths, Bachelor  to Elizabeth Moore, Spinster
Fathers: John Griffiths and Thomas Moore
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:46 BST (UK) »

Thanks, K Garrad.
The marriage entry, from www.imuseum.im, says:
12th June 1884  at German
John Griffiths, Bachelor  to Elizabeth Moore, Spinster
Fathers: John Griffiths and Thomas Moore
The marriage I have is for 12 June 1864 ???
This must be an error, as children were born before 1884, and Elizabeth would have been rather elderly for marriage to a lusty young slate miner in 1884!

. I would like to know some more about John Griffiths, a more precise POB, than North Wales! I hoped that this might be on a parish record of children's birth, or marriage, or death even..
ps, I have just tried with FindMyPast for an 1841 census for Elizabeth, only one I get has yet another DOB, 1829! This one is living with a 70 year old Thomas LACE. Possible, I guess, if her father had died, and her mother had remarried?
Griffiths, Moore (Isle of Man) Parry (Manchester and god knows where!) Gooch (Hitcham, Suffolk) Clark(e) (London? and unknown) Sampson (London and possibly Brighton and Manchester)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
Baptism:
4th January 1867  at German
Edward Owen Griffiths, son of John Griffiths (Quarrier) and Elizabeth Griffiths (nee Moore)  of Peel

4th March 1870  at German
William Arthur Griffiths, son of John Griffiths (Slate Quarrier) and Elizabeth Griffiths (nee Moore)  of Peel

Because the Isle of Man is an independent country, "foreign" people are simply noted as being born in their country! Manx records are unlikely to show anything other than "Wales".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
And how are you using the  www.imuseum.im ? I enter Elizabeth Moore, give date between 1829-1839, search ALL and get............. No results!

D'oh! I entered Elizabeth Moore! Should be Moore Elizabeth!!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
Aha!  Maybe . . . .

Baptism, 10th November 1827
at German, Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Thomas & Catherine (nee Cowin) of Peel

And another option:
26th October 1826
At German, Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Thomas Moore and Elizabeth Christian

And another option:
12th March 1826
At German, Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Thomas Moore and Elizabeth Kneen

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 September 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
And I thought 'lying about one's age' was limited to models and actresses!

So, 1837, 1833, 1831, 1829.... And now 1826-7 !

But John was quite a bit younger, so perhaps this is a reason for her being sketchy?

Thank you, BTW...

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 September 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
Have you, (K Garrad) or anyone used the LDS FHC? Can I get the films there? Would there be anything of further interest on them? For instance, Robert John giving his POB as Glen Maye? Would there be a local church record?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
The films at LDS (and I have used them in the past!) will be images of parish registers.

Parish Register marriages don't show place of birth - just the parish where the couple were resident for the qualifying period of the banns being called.

If I can find the marriage at The Manx Museum, I will let you know if there is any more detail - but I sincerely doubt it!