Author Topic: John Roberts Thurston Tuthill, aka Stephens/Stevens 1852 shipping record  (Read 2617 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Roberts Thurston Tuthill, aka Stephens/Stevens 1852 shipping record
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 September 14 06:17 BST (UK) »

;D ;D

Many thanks to one and all!

Found the following as well -
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12941046

Gerry - 3 sons and 2 daughters - William Alfred (possibly born in Sydney, possibly born in London) Samuel Henry born in London, Sydney Collins born on the journey (James Giles died in Shoreditch Jun qtr 1851)
Georgiana Catherine born in Sydney (one other daughter recorded elsewhere as Sarah Ellen, born Sydney, but not present in 1851 census)

Ros - You have a record for William Alfred born in Sydney, 1848, 1851 census says born in London, one online tree says he was born in London, another says Sydney - take your pick! If parents plus just the 2 daughters (Georgiana and Sarah) came to England in 1848, I would perhaps say William was born in London, but there is a birth record in NSW in 1848?

It would seem that Alfred Toogood was involved in the Coventry riots, sent to Van Diemens Land in 1832.
He was assigned a new master, a Mr Raine, and in 1838 he was shipwrecked.  Nine passengers, including Mr Raine drowned. Survivors walked six days into Twofold Bay.  Alfred was then selected to walk overland to Sydney, which took him over 2 weeks.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12863192
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/32158687

His older brother William Toogood, a picture of respectability in later years, was convicted of larceny in 1822, sent to Australia for life.  He must have been pleased to see his brother arrive 10 years later.  ''Publicans Records show William held Licenses for Rainbow Hotel, Rainbow Tavern,Toogoods Hotel, Rose and Crown, Golden Fleece Hotel & Masonic Hall. His first license was in 1839, several years before his Absolute Pardon in 1843.''

A fascinating family (see how easy it is to get side-tracked at this hobby!)

Thank you all again for your input

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 September 14 06:43 BST (UK) »
Yes Margaret here's the baptism  of William Alfred TOOGOOD referring to his birth in Oct 1848

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCG-QMG

He was christened in 1853.   (I was about to suggest that the first William may have died but no)

Perhaps a newborn baby in arms wasn't counted as a passenger on 1848 voyage.

The wonderful improved  ;D  NSW BDM site http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html is unavailable at the moment

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 September 14 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hang on they departed in January 1848.

So William wasn't born in Australia but I guess his later baptism caused them to record it on NSW BDM .  So probably recorded both in Australia and UK and causing all the confusion

cheers,
   Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 September 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
I was just about to say that, Roz!  According to the paper they set off for London on 24 Jan 1848, he was born 12 Oct 1848.

There is no corresponding birth registration in England, unless it was delayed for some reason (Alfred may not have realised that he had to register the birth, having left England in 1832) - there was a William Alfred Toogood birth registered Dec qtr 1849 in Shoreditch.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 September 14 07:09 BST (UK) »
It was a job lot :).   Sydney Collins TOOGOOD was also christened on 10 April 1853

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCG-QMR

cheers,
   Ros

adding : Sarah Ellen TOOGOOD christening https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTDB-TBK
           Georgiana Catherine TOOGOOD christening https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCR-6JW

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 September 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Great to see two brother convicts do well in Aus.

An English newspaper of the day puts Alfred at the riots with many others but only a few got charged.  If Alfred got life I'm surprised he could go back to England for a visit.

Thanks for the family update.

In 1851 Sarah Toogood, 9, born in Sydney Australia, was a pupil at a school loacted at 'Back of Town' in Wye, Kent.

Gerry

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 September 14 17:23 BST (UK) »

Thanks for that, Ros and Gerry.
This time yesterday I had never heard of the Toogood family, now I feel I know them fairly well!  If it wasn't for them, my quest for John Stephens immigration to NSW would have remained unsolved, far too many records with no full names/ages/occupations.   Now I know that this J Stephens is 'mine', and the servant in steerage has to be Anne Keast, in spite of her being unnamed.

John left a wife and young family in England, the youngest one possibly yet to be born, or was very young (no birth registration found, aged 8, 18 in 1861 and 1871 census).  There is a possibility that John was not his father, but 3 older brothers name him when they get married.  They were born 1842, 1846 and 1847.

Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
A quick update for anyone that helped me out and/or followed this thread from 2014.

Autosomal DNA testing has given me a match with one of the Australian descendants​ of John Robert Tuthill aka Stephens, who worked as a billiard table maker in Sydney.

It is very good to have this rather complicated branch of my tree confirmed.  The person I matched up with was extremely surprised, she had no idea of the connection.

Anybody with any brickwalls or uncertainties in the last 150 - 200 years or so, please consider autosomal DNA testing.

Margaret