Author Topic: Carrick Ayrshire monumental inscriptions book lookup - McGrean of Kirkmichael  (Read 2637 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carrick Ayrshire monumental inscriptions book lookup - McGrean of Kirkmichael
« on: Saturday 27 September 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
I think I may be descended from the McGrean/McGraine/McGren/McGrene etc family of Kirkmichael, Ayrshire and possibly a Quintin McGrean.

According to this link there is a headstone of a Quentin McGreen died 1694 (about the right time) in the Kirkmichael parish church graveyard: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/989053/

According to this link there is a book "Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions; an index for Carrick, Ayrshire" (1988) that has a McGrean headstone inscription from that graveyard: http://www.maybole.org/history/books/monumentinscriptions/carrick.htm

I was wonderinjg if anyone has access to that book and can tell me what is written on the headstone before I order a copy of the photo.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Offline Mr.S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carrick Ayrshire monumental inscriptions book lookup - McGrean of Kirkmichael
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 14 20:08 BST (UK) »
inscriptions-no.59 and no.76.
 No.56- 1694,dividers,setsetsquare and mallet.monogram RMQ over bible.Heir lyes the corps of Quintin McGrean mason -----.
Here lyes the corps  of ------t.McGran etc.
no.76-Here the corpse lies of Jas Clark d.1716 and Meran McGrean his spouse etc.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Carrick Ayrshire monumental inscriptions book lookup - McGrean of Kirkmichael
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mr S, that is much appreciated. I think the first one may be of my ancestor although it could be of his son.

Does anyone know what "RMQ" stands for if it has a standard meaning? I tried google but it doesn't seem to help.

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
I too am interested  in a monumental inscription that may appear in that publication.

I am specifically after the headstone details from the Ballantrae Kirkyard.

I believe there may be a headstone for Alexander McTIER, died 1806 and his wife Jean (or Jane) nee MAITLAND, died 1818.

Can anyone help me, please.

Grantley
South Australia

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi Grantley

As well as Mr S, I also received help from the Alloway & Southern Ayrshire Family History Society. For some reason I am having difficulty accessing their website now, it appears to be a broken link on the www.maybole.org site, but you might have more luck.

Cheers

Offline Mr.S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McTier-Plot 50-Alex McTier died 10.6.1806 age 46,widow Jean Maitland died 2.12.1818 aged 58;headstone erected by son WIlliam(his widow Helen McCreadie died 25.2.1830,aged 43) and by son David(widow Margaret Haldane)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
Thank you very much.

Way more information than I hoped for.  ;D

A real bonus for me.

I do appreciate your help.
Regards
Grantley

Offline mcampbellrn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
I would, also, like a look up in the book if at all possible.  I have tried to obtain a copy of it without success.  Unfortunately I have no death dates on the two men but I have baptismal dates, spouses and marriage dates. 
John Wilson baptized 1753 born in Coylton married Janet Murdock in 1770 in Coylton.  He is my 4 great grandfather.  His son James is my 3 great and he is buried in Colmonell as well as other family members. 
Robert Wilson (5th great grandfather) baptized 1724 from Old Cumnock married Agnes McClenachen in 1753 and possible death date of 1768. 
I have birth and marriages certs from Scotlandspeople but am unable to find burial places or certs. 
Thank you for your time.

Offline Mr.S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
I have looked for the McClenanchen in my book but only one reference for that surname in the Kirkmichael churchyard-'here lies Jean McRorie 30/1/1753 aged 35, husband John McClannahan , son James  died 2/1753 ,aged one year.
Several variations of the surname given in 1881 census.
Wilson surname is so common it will take more research