Author Topic: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington  (Read 29537 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Monica, I have not seen the original sign -up/service papers.
Did this soldier sign up initially as Peter Cairns ?
I've been a wee bit puzzled by that.
Looby :)

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
loobylooayr & MonicaL, some really good ideas and feedback in your posts.  It was speculative that a Miss Gallagher might lead us back to the correct Peter C. but was worth a try in case something concrete came up. 
I've seen the original Field General Court Martial file for soldier Pte Cairnie (No 3942 later 40806) and throughout he is referred to as Pte. W. Cairnie, except in one document that has him as Pte. William Cairnie.  The on-line WW1 Service Records for Pte Cairnie 3942 later 40806 all have him as Pte. P. Cairnie or Pte. Peter Cairnie.
I plan to visit The National Archives at Kew next week to see if I can review the actual original documents, and see if there is anything not visible on the image copies that may help - will let you know.
In several posts in this chain, there is reference to Peter Cairns Service Record (which ties to 3942 or 40806) - I can't find anything (Ancestry or FindMyPast) for Peter Cairns, can you provide any further info on this, as I will see if I can get access to the originals of these as well.   :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi C145hoo,
I notice on CWGC website that Private 40806 is recorded as Peter Cairnie, yet on the Grave Registration document his name is recorded  (typed) as Cairnie W -  with the W scored out with red pen and a small handwritten red P written to the side :-\.
You wonder if the Court Martial was so rushed they filled in the wrong name :o
Good luck at the National Archives, I look forward to hearing how you got on .

Regards Miss Gallacher, I would not be surprised if Bridget Gallacher was the young lady Peter named as next of kin. She is certainly in the right area at the right time . The flat at Smiths Land was owned by Martin Reilly who also owned Reilly's lodging house (not that that goes for anything as the Reilly's owned several properties it seems).
Lastly re. the tattoo. of Robina....is that clearly written ...a similar name is Rosina.

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 00:17 BST (UK) »
loobylooayr, I saw the same on the CWGC documents earlier this week and sent a request to them to enquire what information they had received that caused them to manually update their record - still awaiting a response, but will pass it on as soon as anything received.

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Have put up copies of Pte Cairnie documents on the IWM 'Lives of the First World War' site which has the 'Enrolment Papers' as well as copies from the Field General Court Martial
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5442028

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
Have put up copies of Pte Cairnie documents on the IWM 'Lives of the First World War' site which has the 'Enrolment Papers' as well as copies from the Field General Court Martial
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5442028

Thanks c145hoo.
I've had a look. They make interesting but very sad reading.
His enrolment is certainly in the name Cairnie and his signature is clear.
I struggled to decipher the description of his tattoo but the name is clearly Robina.
(I had found a Glaswegian Peter Cairns of right age with a wife Rosina and a baby daughter Rosina and wondered if he was worth further investigation :-\ )
Good luck with your search . Lets hope something else crops up for you.

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
Looby, the 'Original Record of Service - Enrolment Paper' has no details in the particulars of marriage and in the particulars of children, this too is blank, suggesting he was neither married or with children.  I think this backs up why the next of kin is Miss Gallagher, rather than a family member/relative. Rgds c145hoo

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hiya, Yes I did read that.
And of course it was probably the case that Peter gave Miss Gallacher as his next of kin because he had no-one else.
Sadly through experience tracing my own WW1 heroes, I know that what was filled out on enrollment was not always true :-[.
Some were economical/vague with the truth.
One of my lot served under a false name and gave his next of kin as his mother but under her maiden name with her real street and house number but a different town. He also lied about his age , added 2 years on, although being in his 20s he was already old enough to enlist. He served for 2 years before all this came to light when he went AWOL and was court martialed.
Another claimed he had previously served in army when he hadn't - he was always a miner.

Added - Actually c145hoo , you have inspired me. I should really the details I have of my WW1 Scots onto the In Memorium board. Thanks  :)

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Looby, you're of course right that not all information was provided properly, and in this case one has to question why Peter Cairnie didn't correct the FGCM and tell them that he wasn't William Cairnie, unless he was hiding something else, or hoping to avoid his record from showing up that he had gone AWOL on a number of occasions - which may point the Officers at the FGCM to believe he was a persistent offender - he was successful in this, as his 'Evidence of Character' states 'no previous entries, whereas, in truth, he had already had a number of AWOL charges against him. :P

On a different note, hope your relative, that was Court Martialed, didn't suffer the same fate as Peter C.   :-\