Author Topic: Early mobility  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Early mobility
« on: Sunday 28 September 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
My Luffman ancestors lived in Dorset and Somerset. They were recorded at Maperton Som. 1685, then Oborne Dorset from c 1723,then Henstridge Somerset from around 1770 calling at Sherborne in the meantime (c1750), Milborne Port 1780 and remaining at Purse Caundle during the first half of the 19th century. Though there is a gap from c1780 until 1804 the continuity is good, and as there is always a Mathew in the family I am fairly confident it is the same family. Why would they move around? Were they tenants or bonded labourers of a large estate? I contacted the Digby family about their estates near Sherborne, but the records in their archives started too late to be of any use to me.
Any ideas please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early mobility
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I put those places into google maps to see how far apart they were.

From beginning to end, only just over 20 miles in 150 years - a snail could go faster.

How about reading some social histories of general labourers to see what the common man got up to, and appreciating that people did move for work, and marriage, and did not stay fixed.

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiring_and_mop_fairs

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Early mobility
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the input! The 20 miles in 150 years is indeed snail paced, and then my GGF moved 250 miles+ with the Militia, in a few months!! I have done a lot of research, and social and historical reading. The conclusion I have reached is that my ancestors worked for one of the large Estates; probably the Digbys, who's estate records only start in the early 19th century too late for my researches. Subsequently in the early 19th century they more than made up for their earlier sedentary lives; 2 Luffman's are recorded on the memorial to the Siege at Lucknow. I have certainly successfully traced them back to Oborne/Sherborne, but not yet made a familial connection.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)