Author Topic: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907  (Read 17024 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Shilo I can photograph Elsie's divorce papers  the next time I am at the state archives.

I can also photograph any probate packets for your family https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/ who died in NSW (mostly before 1980 but a few available after that).  Just type their name into the main search box.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Here is a snippet of the inquest decision on George Henry NICHOLLS 1926.   It's hard to read but sadly I think he shot himself in the heart ...?

Ros

adding : I think it says "effects of a bullet wound to his left heart inflicted by himself" with something inserted which I can't read.
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Here is death notice for George Henry NICHOLLS who died in 1991

Ros

Offline SMC00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Ros, that is amazing of you. Thank you so much. Wow, shot himself in the heart. How awful.
And thank you for the clipping of my Uncle George who passed in 1991. I remember going to his funeral in Sydney as a little girl.

So kind of you to offer to take photos of divorce and probate packets.  I will get back to you with some names. :)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
No problem Shilo  :)

I try to get to NSW RO every 3 or 4 weeks to take photos of probates divorces etc for rootschatters.  I limit myself to 16 files per visit now  [getting old and klutzy  :( ] so if it's a long list some will have to wait for future visits.   Just list them by priority  :)

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 27 May 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
I just read this interesting thread.

According to my uncle's notes, which I just saved from the bonfire,  this might be of interest

"Mrs. Annie Agnes Nichols, of Horatio-street, a resident of Mudgee for 26 years, and a native of Mendooran, died in the Prince Henry Hospital, Sydney, last Saturday, at the age of 72. Mr. A. Magick (Binnaway) is a brother, and Mesdames G. Toynton (Molong) and R. Dougherty (Leadville)are sisters. Mrs. M. Collins (Paddington) is a daughter, and Misses Elsie and Myril Nichols and Mr. George Nichols, all of Mudgee, are grandchildren. There are also another daughter and two other grandchildren in Sydney."

This looks like a printout of Trove and it is from the Mudge Guardian of 16 April 1936.

He's crossed out Mrs. and written n.m. next to it.  Not married ?  He's also crossed out brother and written half brother at the side.  Underneath he's written mother of George also ?

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Looks like you may have solved the puzzle

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 11 June 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Looks like you may have solved the puzzle

Well the Elsie Nichols mentioned in that newspaper in 1936 was the daughter of George Nichols the motorbike mechanic who shot himself,   and she was born about 1920,  so she wasn't the bridesmaid in 1907.

Either "Mrs M Collins"  or "another daughter with 2 grandchildren in Sydney"  must have been the elusive bridesmaid from 1907.

It looks like Annie Agnes Nichols,  who was born around 1863,  had three children,  none of which had an identifiable birth registration.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 18 June 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
I was actually referring to the fact that it looks like Annie Agnes Nicholls # 34 did in fact have an ex-nuptial child. In fact it looks like she had three.  The Helsey Nicholls born to Annie A. #35 looks like she could possibly be the elusive Elsie who was bridesmaid at the wedding. If I was the OP, I would be looking as getting some certificates to prove this.

Regards
Jennaya