Author Topic: The Royal Hotel Reitz 1910  (Read 3923 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Royal Hotel Reitz 1910
« on: Monday 29 September 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find a photo of the Royal Hotel, Reitz in the Orange Free State? I am researching Richard Turnbull Clarkson who was the manager there, about 1910. Richard had served in the Boer War. He married Agnes Maud Liversedge about 1900, and they had three children (that I know about): Herbert Stewart Clarkson (1902 -?), Wallace Paxton Clarkson (1904 - ?) and a daughter, name unknown at present, born about 1900. A fellow researcher has ordered Richard's divorce papers from Agnes, which we are anxiously awaiting....meanwhile, I would love to find out more about Reitz, which seems to figure as a place of conflict during the war. Cheers!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Hotel Reitz 1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
It seems that 1901 the most fanatical members of the Orange Free State government were captured by the British at the Reitz.Ex President Steyn escaped in  his nightshirt 32 pounds was found in his waistcoat also important letters in his luggage which was also left behind after the dawn raid.

Google The Royal Hotel Reitz Orange Free State.

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pam - looks interesting but I am not sure that Richard Clarkson was part of this.... although he could have been! The Hotel seems to still be in existence, and I would love to have an old photo of it.... have you been able to find one?
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
I found this on the net.
Getting back on track, Ramblers almost burnt down in 1903, and the British Colonial Secretary, Joseph Chamberlain visited that year. The Spruit River flooded and destroyed the Royal Hotel in 1904, which was later rebuilt of course. They held a parade for the flood victims, which included Bloemfontein’s only detective.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
thanks - but could that hotel be a different one? Richard T Clarkson was definitely the manager of a Royal Hotel in Reitz, which is "located in the north-eastern part of the Free State province, 300 kilometres (190 mi) north-east of Bloemfontein and 180 kilometres (110 mi) south of Johannesburg." - not actually in Bloemfontein, which that website seems to imply..? Reitz seems to be a very small town, and I think the royal hotel now does not exist. Looks like this is going to be a hard place to research!

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
By telephoning around I have managed to ascertain that the Royal Hotel in Reitz still exists!  However their telephone number is not working unfortunately.

I shall try during the day tomorrow to try and find a number for the owner and see if he can assist with a photograph and perhaps a bit of the history of the Hotel. 

Just be patient please as I shall be very busy for a lot of tomorrow, but will get onto it as soon as I can.

Nookie
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Nookie, that is so kind of you! In Richards Will it states he was an 'hotelier' but we also know that he had a cattle farm. In the NAAIRS index I also found a reference to permission being sought for an 'asiatic' to enter the orange free state to become his cook in 1910. Anything you can find for me will be wonderful! Richard and his wife Agnes Maud Liversage had a shattering divorce, apparently very bitter so anything about his life may shed some light on what happened between them.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
I have managed to make contact with the current owner of the Royal Hotel, a Mr Jannie van Zyl.  He says that he will email me an old photograph of the hotel and, if I understood him properly, a photograph of Richard.  He has also promised to write out a short history of the hotel as he knows it.

He was out of town when I phoned him, so will only be able to do it later, probably over the weekend.

Please pm me with your email address so that I can forward everything to you as soon as I receive it.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 October 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Nookie, I have replied to you pm, but I would like also to thank you here for your kindness in helping with this search! I look forward to a photo from the current owner - this is very exciting!  thanks again!