Author Topic: Need Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk Parish Records Look-Up  (Read 2386 times)

Offline randers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Working on family history since 2001
    • View Profile
Need Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk Parish Records Look-Up
« on: Thursday 30 June 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to 1806 Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk parish records? I realize I could order copies somewhere, but I'm trying to keep my research expenses down.

I'd like to see if I can learn anything new about my Heap ancestors. I just discovered that Robert Heap was born in Bury St. Edmunds on January 26, 1806 and not in Kendal, Westmorland as previously thought (source was the 1871 Kendal census). His parents, Robert Heap (of Kendal) and Frances Elizabeth Parmenter (possibly of Sible Hedingham), were married at St. Mary's Church in Bury St. Edmunds on January 08, 1806.

Thanks,
Richard
Andersons of Cumbernauld and Heaps of Kendal

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Need Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk Parish Records Look-Up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 05 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

The only Robert Heap that qualifies and is around in 1841 in that part of England is....

By High Road, Shenfield, Essex

ROBERT HEAP  35  CURATE SHENFIELD   N (not born in county)
CAROLINE  "    4                                      Y
MARY          "    2                                      Y
--------------------------
if you find this family in 1851 it might give you more info to go on?

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline randers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Working on family history since 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

Thanks very much for your help. By 1811, my Heap ancestors were back up in Kendal, Westmorland. By any chance, do you have access to the 1841 & 1861 censuses for that town? I'd like to see where Robert Heap (born in Bury St. Edmunds on January 26, 1806) lived. He was a builder/carpenter and undertaker. His wife's name was Esther Harrison (born in Lancashire in 1804 & died in 1869). In 1851, Robert is listed with his family at 143 Highgate. By 1871, he is at 181 Highgate.

As for the Suffolk parish records, I ended up ordering them, so a few of my questions have been answered.

Best regards,
Richard
Andersons of Cumbernauld and Heaps of Kendal

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 05 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

I can see 3 x "W" Counties in 1841, unfortunately Westmoreland isn't one of them!
If you place a post for the 1861 their are plenty who should be able to supply you with that info?

I gather their is a Highgate in Westmoreland and not the one we all know in London?

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk