Author Topic: Dorset County Asylum, Charminster  (Read 2983 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dorset County Asylum, Charminster
« on: Monday 29 September 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 & 1891 censuses, inmates are only shown by initials. Are readers aware of another source which might be used to confirm an individual? Thanks, Toby.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset County Asylum, Charminster
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Dorset History Centre has some:

https://www.dorsetforyou.com/dorsethistorycentre/herrison

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suggsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toby, I had great success with the Dorset history centre with regards to tracing a death of an ancestor.
My case the person was in what was called 'Herrison hospital', and there is 'restricted access' (Meaning if the record being researches is less than 100 years since the event, then ID and application needs to be shown) if you are a descendant.

This can take a little time but if you have details to give them they are very good and will get back to you, for a fee.

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to read that there was an asylum in Charminster - I wasn't aware of this.  I have several ancestors who lived in Charminster. 

In the 1901 Census my great-grandfather was the landlord of the Royal George Inn in Charminster, yet in 1911 he was a teacher at an asylum at Starcross in Devon.  Perhaps between the two Censuses he changed job, initially starting at Charminster before moving to Starcross ...
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline historydch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toby

Just in case you aren't aware, Ancestry has 'Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912' on its site, which is fully searchable by name, year of birth, county etc.

The registers give dates of admission and discharge so you can work out if your ancestor was in an asylum during the census.

In theory it should now be possible to decode all those initials listed in census returns (but it would be a big job, of course).

Mark

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. All I have to do is wait a few years until 100 years have passed. T

Offline historydch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Toby - have you found your ancestor in the asylum? If not, what's their name/DoB?
By the way, if you can prove their death the Dorset History Centre might let you look at their record even if 100 years hasn't expired.

(I was in the History Centre once when they did let someone look at one of the casebooks - they masked off all the other entries so the researcher could only see the entry relating to their relative - presumably they had proved that the relative was no longer living.)

M

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you historydch. I am planning a trip to Dorchester this summer so will have a go, T.