Author Topic: griffin family  (Read 832 times)

Offline rosecreek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
griffin family
« on: Thursday 30 June 05 19:29 BST (UK) »
My family settled in KY. My grandfather   was a Griffin and his family came from Ireland,  I have no idea where, I have heard discussions about a Griffin castle
The family may have been from Limerick,  my grandmother was a Robards, I am not sure if they were Irish or Scottish,  I believe formerly they we know as McRobards.   As anyone can see I am a novice at this but since I know they came to America from Ireland, thought this was a good beginning. duh/
Thanks to anyone who can give me a clue where to start.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: griffin family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 05 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi rosecreek and welcome to Rootschat  :)

The first thing you need to do is verify the information you have from any living relatives.

Are there any certificates in existence that would help you go back further?

Have a read of the Beginners Board.

Think about posting in Emigrants for those relatives you believe left Ireland or Scotland for the USA.  I believe you can search ports of entry, but someone on that board will know.  Try to get a good idea of the names and an approximate date of arrival.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that is how we all learn!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 05 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi rosecreek
there is a few people on this list researching Griffin in Ireland
i have done a couple of searches for that name this week worth checking the boards

audrey

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 05 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi rosecreek!  Welcome to the board! 

Everybody has to start somewhere!  Keep in mind that this is an interest/hobby requiring patience and creativity.  But hopefully you will find the search great fun and become addicted to it as many of us are!

About 6 months ago I knew NOTHING but a few very vague dates and some hints from family lore --  which have mainly turned out NOT to be true --  or not ALL true.  I now have an incredible amount of development on 4 main family lines with 2 of them back to England 1600-1700, one to Ireland 1820 and 1 dead as a door nail in 1860 US and may stay that way! These are all common everyday people.   I have no living close relatives but through the search have found 4 "cousins" from parts of the family I didn't even know existed! 3 are real, 1 is related by marriage they were researching the tree as well!  As well as several new genea buddy friends. 

Do you live in the US or elsewhere?  Are you/have you researched your more immediate family and trying to work back to Eng/Scot/Ire?   

Wish you good luck!  Let me know if I can be of help further with getting you started.

Regards,
kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline rosecreek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 05 01:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Kathy
Thanks for your encouragement, i am fearful this is going to a feat beyond my imagination.   I have most of my fathers family tree, which is connected to my mothers side of the family,  so my eyes cross when I try to ferret out the branches.  My Dad's family came from England back in the 1600's to America, that is pretty well documented...
I am interested in my mom's family because of lack of information.
I live in the USA
 in California.   Thanks again if I can help you on this side let me know.    My family started in VA.  thru NC and finally in KY.

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 05 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi rosecreek!  Good to hear from you!   I'm from US too.  My ancestral base is Kansas.  Working back to England and Ireland through a variety of intermediary locations. 

This is a terrific site!  So determine a good place to start and post it on the most location specific board and see what responses you get.  Let the responses guide you from there.  Always best to post as much info as you have which is relevant (more is better than less), as clearly and organized as possible and if you are exploring a theory, often helps to share what you are trying to prove or disprove.  People will help you be creative and explore your hunches!

Also good just to cruise topics and messages and see what other people are looking for and the responses they get, etc.  I'm sure you probably did that before deciding to join.

I knew NOTHING about this when I started and I've learned so much about alot of things! 

I riciprocate on the Immigrants (to US) board and try to help people making the reverse search for their people in the US.  You learn alot that way as well not only about England but how to search more efficiently.

So let me know if you need any help.  You can always use the Personal Mail option (pm) if you don't want to post your question.

Check out the July Challenge in The Common Room --  just started tonite!  And look at June's which just ended. 

Good Luck, have fun!

kathy

KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US