Author Topic: Missing 1871 Census Slack Family  (Read 4128 times)

Offline SparkleyShoes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing 1871 Census Slack Family
« on: Monday 29 September 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

While researching the Slack side of my family history I have hit a snag in trying to track down the 1871 census for Frederick Slack.

Frederick Slack was born c. 1844, married Martha Pugh in c. 1867 and had his first son, William Henry in 1869.

On the 1861 Census Frederick was living with his aunt and uncle, George and Ann Eaton in Runcorn. I haven't worked out the Eatons are related to the Slacks yet , nor why he is staying with them. But I think judging by the occupations it could be an apprenticeship, as he and his uncle are in the elastic manufacturing business.

The last known address I have for Frederick Slack is 18 Noel Street in 1869 on William's birth certificate.

Whilst the Slacks moved around Derby city centre a lot, they have rarely moved out of its vicinity, so I think it unlike he has strayed too far. (But what do I know, eh?) Frederick and Martha's second child, Alice is born in Derby c. 1875, so again adds to why he should still be there. On the 1881 census the family is living at 4 Colville Street, and family remains in Derby for the rest of their lives. Generally, they have been based in the parish of St. Alkmund's.

On the 1871 I expect Frederick Slack to be living with his wife and son. Frederick should be aged about 26 and occupation a hoisery or bandage maker (in that field of business anyway).

Any help in trying to track down Frederick Slack and his family is greatly appreciated. Or any ideas what happened to them if they are missing from the census?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. This Frederick Slack is not to be confused with his father, Frederick Slack, who in 1871 is aged 66 and is living with his wife Hannah, daughter Elizabeth and servant Elizabeth Ratcliffe, at 49 Wilmot Street.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 1871 Census Slack Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Frederick Slack was born c. 1844

No birthplace shown in post - 1861 shows it as Hulland Ward, Derbyshire

Where and when was Martha born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SparkleyShoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry about missing that off.
On different censuses it says different things, and I know census records can have inaccuracies for a number of reasons. In 1851 it says St Alkmund's, Derby, then 1861, 1881, 1891 it says Hulland Ward, Derbyshire and in 1911 it says Derby, Derbyshire. So I'm not 100% certain but around the city centre ties into it, especially as his parents moved there from Quarndon.

Martha was born c.1845 in Dudley, Staffordshire

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't find them either. I noticed that Martha is entered twice in the 1881 though  :P
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SparkleyShoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for having a look for me anyway.
Do you have any idea why it could be the family is missing?

Where is Martha listed twice in 1881? I only have her at 2 South Street Derby with Frederick, and first two her children William and Alice. It gets a bit tricky to find her in 1891 though as the family splits up and she moves out.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
I think it is the same Martha

8 Peel Street, Litchurch
Martha Slack wife mar 31 Dudley
Isaac Pugh brother 18 parcel porter railway ditto
David ditto brother 15 butcher's porter ditto
Alice Slack daur 6 scholar ditto

RG11, piece 3404, fol 45

so same ages as the Colville St ones, though Alice's birth is different it is probably just an error.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
I don't know why they are missing in 1871. I have some "holes" in my own census data  ::)

Offline SparkleyShoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 October 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
It looks like you're right. Pugh was her maiden name.

How odd! Fancy being missing off the 1871 census but appearing twice in 1881. I wonder why that is?

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 October 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a thought but had the Parents of Isaac & David Pugh died by 1881, or perhaps the mother
had died and Father re-married.  Two sons came to live in a house in Derby and Martha was looking after them, but not separated from her husband so she stated she was head of that household and her husband also listed her at his residence.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.