Author Topic: Thomas Hudson from Arbory Isle of Man  (Read 7342 times)

Offline John Perry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hudson from Arbory Isle of Man
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
That is definitely my grandfather! I have their marriage certificate.  I don't know a James Edward Hudson though although Thomas and Phoebe had a son called Thomas Edward (mispelt in some records as Samus).  The daughter of Thomas Edward is my cousin and still alive.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
The date of birth and address in Warrington is on the tree for that Thomas Edward.

Blue

Offline John Perry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 October 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
As you have probably realised, I'm new to this game :)   I looked long and hard at the connections between 'my' Thomas Hudson and the Thomas son of John and Catherine Hudson and was not 100% sure they were the same person.  My doubts are based mainly on the fact that in his Marriage Certificate, the 1901 and 1911 Census, 'my' Thomas indicates that he was born in 1875/6 not 1873.  Am I being too fastiduous?

Regards

John

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 October 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Ages can be out by a few years on census, marriage and death records. Two or three years is quite a reasonable difference.

Blue

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 October 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
how consistent are derived dob's - if very consistent between different censuses etc then I'd tend to go with them - if a wider variation then a range of a couple of years is ok - if his and his wife's ages were markedly different you often find some 'adjustment' which tend to be forgotten in later years

There is a 6 year old Thomas Hudson (remember on IoM the name can be Hudgeon, Hutchin or Hudson and is quite a common name around Arbory) s/o a Charles Hudson + Ellen at Cross Four Ways but the Thomas s/o John at Three Ways in Arbory is indicated as 8 - both these ages match the baptismal dates
There is a Thomas Henry bapt 1877 s/o of a John + Sara Ann nee Higginbottom

there is a Manx born John T Hudson age 6 s/o John + Margt in Kirkdale Lancs (32 Harebell St) - Manx commonly use the second given name - just offering it as an interesting speculation - John is an unemployed Ships joiner
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline John Perry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
It is certainly tempting to assume that 'my' Thomas Hudson is the same as the Thomas son of John and Catherine Hudson (nee Watterson), particularly as they both have a Warrington connection.  However, two things make me a little uneasy. One is that in 'my' Thomas, his age on the Wedding Cert, 1901 and 1911 census consistently suggest a dob of 1876 (not 1873 as in the other Thomas). The second unease is that I know most of the children of John and Catherine emigrated to Canada (but not Thomas).  My mother and her sister never made mention of having uncles/aunts and cousins in Canada, which I would have thought they would have done given that they were both teenagers at the time of emigration.  I'm stumped!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the tree yet? Any family likeness on the photos?

Blue

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
you could try to find the John T in 1891 so see where he is and is he is now referred to as Thomas [John]  - is there any newspaper report of his marriage as these sometime name relatives etc - likewise any funeral report which are usually more informative (tho suspect your mother will have all these details) did your mother every mention any Manx relatives as many English based families with Manx connections would jump at chance of 'off loading' children to an Island based relative
any thing with a Manx Connection