Author Topic: Samuel Pugh Gentleman of Merthyr Cynog, Buried Maesmynis 1811  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Samuel Pugh Gentleman of Merthyr Cynog, Buried Maesmynis 1811
« on: Tuesday 30 September 14 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I obtained a copy of Samuel Pugh's will of 1811 in which he is described as "Gentleman" living in Brecon at the time of his death. He left his estate to "his only child and next of kin" Thomas Pugh of Brecon who was a bounder along with Thomas Davies of Llanvechan.  The will binder shows "Samuel Pugh Maesmynis, Breconshire". (Note Lanvechan .. Llanafan-Fechan is about half-way between Builth Wells and Llangamarch).

There is a corresponding record of "Samuel Pugh Gent. from of Merthyr age 51" Buried at Maesmynis April 18 1811

I also have a record of a marriage bond:
 "PUGH, Samuel, yeoman, Maesmynys, BRE.  1785, Nov 10.  At   Llanllywenfel.  Margaret Davies.  B.  66/82" 

(Llanllywenfel is an alternative name for the parish of Llanlleonfell).

I have another record of Samuel baptized by Richard and Margaret Pugh Maesmynis September 9 1759. This exactly corresponds with an age of 51 at the time of death in 1811.

I can't find any other Samuel Pugh's born around that time except for a Bishop's Transcript of the christening of "Samuel Pugh of Evan Pugh" at Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Breconshire in 1795. Although Llanfihangel Nant Bran is only a few miles from Maesmynis, I have no reason to believe the two Samuel Pugh's are related.

Assuming that Samuel Pugh Gentleman is indeed a son of Richard and Margaret Pugh of Maesmynis, the question I have is where did his family come from before about 1750 ?

Any help would be much appreciated..

Llanfi :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Pugh Gentleman of Merthyr Cynog, Buried Maesmynis 1811
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you see the will of Richard Pugh, widower, of Maesmynis in 1800 on the Nat Lib site?  He left Samuel one shilling.

Also mentions daughter Margaret, daughter in law Sarah and son Howel. Maybe others ....

Gadget

PS I passed by Maesmynis  last week  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 08:52 BST (UK) »
Richard's burial 1 Oct 1800 - aged 81.

Margaret, his wife, was buried Maesmynis Sept 1775 but no age given.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,
Samuel is indeed in Richard Pugh's Will of 1800. Richard and Margaret had
Howell b. 1744, Thomas b. 1747, Margaret b. 1749, Rees b. 1752, and Samuel b. 1759. There is a record of an Elinor Pugh Infant buried Maesmynis 1801, but her baptism isn't recorded.

Anyway,

Richard was survived by his sons Howel, Thomas, and Samuel. Rees was buried Maesmynis 1769.

(Thomas married Lucretia Lewis on 11 May 1768 at Bryngwyn Radnorshire; they had a son Thomas the same year. They seem to have moved back to Llangynog, near Maesmynis, because there is a record of a Thomas Pugh marrying Margaret Jones at Llangynog in 1794. Thomas and Margaret had several children, one of whom was Lucretia who died at the above Howel Pugh's house Cefn-Perfedd in Maesmynis in 1814, shortly after her mother's death in Llangynog.)

To get back to Samuel Pugh Gentleman..
His will in 1800 bequeathed a large sum of money to his son Thomas, also living in Brecon.  Thomas, in turn, had a son Thomas who died in 1820. The son Thomas, Gentleman, willed his property back to his father (Thomas) in a bond signed at Brecon the same year. It states that his father lived in Llangamarch at that time. The father (Samuel's son) is described as Thomas Pugh, Gentleman, in another will at Llangamarch 1830. He apparently had an illegitimate child William, and had two daughters, one named Sarah. He also names one grand-daughter Elinor Jones and her sister Elizabeth. 

Is the "Gentleman" Samuel Richard Pugh's son?  If so, the title yeoman, gentleman, seems to have gone with his line, and not his brother Howel's.

I wonder why?

Cheers,
Llanfi  :) :) :) :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Interesting that Howel's wife and ? another person - whose name I've forgotten - were the executors rather than Howel. Could it be that Samuel had already inherited or there was some problem or illness that Howel had?

Have you checked for a will for Howel?

Gadget

PS - assume that you mean Samuel's will was dated 1811 not 1800.

To get back to Samuel Pugh Gentleman..
His will in 1800 bequeathed a large sum of money to his son Thomas,

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes you are correct, Samuel's Bond was dated 1811.

There was a John Meredith baptized by Rees and Hesther Meredith at Maesmynys  in 1743 a year before Howel Pugh.

Another John Meredith was baptized by William and Anne Meredith at Maesmynys in 1768
A third John Meredith was baptized by John and Anne Meredith at Maesmynis in 1772.

One John Meredith, an Infant, was buried Maesmynis 1785.

And I notice that a Richard Pugh, Infant and a Thomas Pugh were buried there 1786.
An Anne Pugh, infant, and Margaret Pugh were also buried Maesmynis 1789.

Marriages:

John Meredith of Llanynis and Eleanor Williams of Maesmynys 1751
John Meredith Maesmynis and Anne Jones of Llangamarch 1769
John Meredith and Anne Williams Llandrindod 1815

It seems likely that the John Meredith married to Anne Jones of Llangamarch was probably the co-executor of Richard Pugh's will in 1800.

I notice that Richard Pugh signed his will by mark "R"
Thomas Pugh's signature on the 1811 Bond is a well-formed "Thos Pugh" The 1820 Bond is signed "Thomas Pugh" but in a different hand from the 1811 one. The 1829 Will is signed "Thomas Pugh" in an identical hand to the signature in 1820.

Maybe this is all getting too complicated for this Forum!!!

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) :) :) :)