Author Topic: Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James  (Read 13390 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 January 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information I am now looking on any information on William Montgomery Reilly, born 15 May 1892 birth registered at Limavady, Londonderry, Ireland.  William was Rebecca's first child and his father, William's 2nd child. His father was a widow when he married Rebecca Montgomery.
Residence  on the 31 March 1901   William is:8 years old,  living at  Pine  Street, Waterside, Londonderry, Relation to Head of House: oldest Son. He was living with his widowed mother and 4 younger siblings. Two boarders registered at living at the same address supplementing the families’ income. He is at school.
Residence  on the 2 April 1911 William is 18 years old. now moved to 43 Bond Street, Londonderry : Relation to Head of House: Son. Living with 4 siblings and his mother  a widow. William and his family live in 3 rooms. His mother lets one of the rooms to Margaret and Agnes Bailey. William is now working as an Upholsterer.  It’ would be nice to know what type of factory employed upholsterers.
He signed the Ulster Covenant against home rule in Ireland, on the27 Sep 1912, at Bonds Hill Hall, Waterside, he was living at 43 Bonds Street, Waterside, Londonderry  along with his siblings, Robert and Jeanie and his mother Rebecca.
On the 15 June 1913 The ship Pretorian left the Port of Londonderry for Liverpool, England.   Port at which passengers had contracted to land was, Quebec , Canada Ticket number 8691  Wm Reilly:aged 22 years old: labourer: Country of intended permanent residency Toronto, Canada.  I have no further evidence that this is the William I am interested in.
In 1914-1918 war
1919  2 Oct  Age: 27   arrived at Liverpool, England - European add   registered at 43 Bond Street, Londonderry.  Name: Wm Reilly:  Birth Date: abt 1892:   Age: 27:  Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada, Arrival:  Date: 2 Oct 1919 Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England  The Ships Name: was the Scandinavian: William’s  occupation  was a Gas Mechanic:  The Shipping line: Canadian Pacific Line
William's address was registered in the ship's passenger list as living at 43 Bond Street, Londonderry, this is the record is of him arriving at Liverpool from Montreal in Canada. His mother died in 1920 so this may be the reason he has come back to see her.
William’s mother died on the 8 June 1920
In 1920 he returns to Canada  The Ship’s name is the Melitia sails from Liverpool to Quebec on the 4 June 1920 with a W Reilly on board, born abt 1893 age27,  there is no proof that this is the boat he sailed on. I cant find the ships he sailed  on, from the Port of Londonderry.
In the Canadian 1921 census taking on the 1st  June  -there is evidence of a William Riley 
Residence 1921  1 Jun  Age: 29:  Toronto East, Ontario, Canada: Name: William Riley:Gender: Male  Marital Status: Married: Age: 29  Birth Year:  1892 Birth Place: Ireland : Spouse's Name: Alice Riley: Father Birth Place: Ireland:  Mother Birth Place Ireland: Year of Immigration 1920: Origin: Irish  He is a labourer and his income is  960 dollars It also tells us that his wife was born in Scotland her mother is Scottish and father Irish.  He has a son named Robert Riley born in Canada 1921,  Apart from date of birth and travelling to Toronto East I do not have proof that this is the William Rielly I am interested in.
On the 7 May 1927 Robert Reilly ~ (younger brother)  emigates from Londonderry to  Montreal, Ships Name "The Athenia" Official Number " 146330" Steamship Line "ANCHOR DONALDSON" Masters Name "James Black" Where Bound "Quebec & Montreal" Robert Reilly, 43 Bond Street, Londonderry, Labourer, Aged 30
Death 13 May 1929   Age: 35 at York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  Reilly Robert of 43 Bond Street Londonderry labourer:  Name of informant was William Reilly, 193 Locksley Street, brother, place of burial Prospect cemetery.  He died of stomach cancer after an operation.
Robert died on the 13 May 1929 at York,Ontario, Canada he had been living in Ontario for 2 years and stayed at the Home for Incurables for 6 weeks before he died after an operation for cancer of the stomach, the certificate gave details of his mothers and fathers name and where they came from. He was diagnosed with cancer for 2 years which would have been all the time he spent in Canada..
Can someone shed some light on my findings.   
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline Reillymccloskey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi I seen you posting looking for information about James Reilly from Claudy. My great grandfather was a James Reilly (perhaps not the one you mean though) from claudy/ banagher. If there's any way I can assist in your search let me know.

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 July 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi  I only seen your message last week.  I have been busy over the last year moving house and did not pick up on your kind offer on help with my research.  My mother's father was John Reilly the youngest child of William Reilly and Rebecca Montgomery, William's second wife.  Attached is  a copy of the extended Reilly family.  William first married in 1888 in Cumber Upper Presbyterian Church which is on the outskirts of the village of Claudy. Elizabeth nee Sherrard who died a few months after their first son James was born in Kincull. William Reilly married Rebecca Montgomery. on 21 April 1891 Reg  district: Limavady. William was a widower with a son.  William's father was also called James.  William died in 1899 aged 40 in the Waterside, Londonderry.  I ,have a copy of his death certificate but not his   baptism cert  I think it was abt. 1859. William's sister's Nancy is on James birth certificate as having registered the birth.   Nancy shows up with James in the 1901 census with another sister, Eliza Ann Craig nee Reilly.  Nancy Reilly dies in 1908 and James Reilly nephew of Nancy is recorded on her death cert.  That is all the information I have on James. I think William's family came from Kincull,  and I was searching for any information on the family in that area.  Any information would be appreciated.  Regards

Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 July 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Nancy shows up with James in the 1901 census with another sister, Eliza Ann Craig nee Reilly.  Nancy Reilly dies in 1908 and James Reilly nephew of Nancy is recorded on her death cert.  That is all the information I have on James.

Eliza Ann Logan is in 1901 census with sister Nancy Rielly and nephew James Rielly-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Foreglen/Kilculmagrandel/1525075
Rielly is not a mistranscription but the way it was actually written-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000616100/

Is this James in 1911?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Fore_Glen/Ballymaclanigan/596118
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 July 16 21:10 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you I believe this James living with the Craig's is the most likely one in the 1911 census.  Is there any way of following up on what happened to James after 1911.  Thanks again Angela

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 August 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Can some help me locate the address on the signing of the covenant.  A number of James Reilly's appear in the Signing of the Ulster Covenant. There is a James Reilly who signed the Ulster Covenant at Cumber Lecture Hall.  He lived in the Parish of Upper Cumber.  He has put the initial DF for his address, and I cant find anywhere beginning with DF. The addresses I have for him are he was born on September 29, 1889, in Bonds Field, Glendermot, Waterside Northern Ireland.  He lived in Ballymaclanigan, Foreglen, Northern Ireland, in 1901 and moved to Kilculmagrandal, Fore glen, Londonderry, Northern Ireland before 1911.  He was brought up by his father's sister Nancy Reilly, who died when he was 18 years of age, in 1908. The address given on Nancy's death cert is  Kincull, same as the 1901 census. Reg: district Limavady Reg sub-district Feeny.  I have tried looking at the valuation records for Upper Cumber but to no joy. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Angela

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 August 16 17:16 BST (UK) »
Did you note the handwriting of the man above him David Fleming same D same F

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
No I didn't notice that.  I looked up David Flemming in the 1911 census and there is only one in the county of Londonderry he lives in Drumlamph (Rocktown, Londonderry).  Maybe the DF stood for his initials as James may have been staying with him.  thank you  Angela

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile