Author Topic: Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James  (Read 13392 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 October 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
The following may also be  relevant, a Robert Reilly was living at 34 Bonds Street in 1934, head of household appears  in the 1934 Derry Almanac.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 07:24 GMT (UK) »
The information I have on Robert is, Born Robert Reilly on the 10 Sept 1893. His parents William Reilly a labourer and Rebecca Montgomery lived near the village of Feeny .

In the 1901 census the family had moved to  Pine Street, Waterside.  There was more work in the town than would have been in the country. When the census was taken he had 1 older brother and 3 younger siblings, His father died when he was 6 years old.  His mother had 2 lodgers to supplement the income and worked in a factory making shirts.  Robert was 8 and still at school at this time.

— Age: 17 in the 1911 census  the family had moved to 43 Bond Street, Londonderry No. 5 Urban, Londonderry, Ireland he is still, living with 2 brothers and 2 sisters. His mother Rebecca rented out one room to 2 boarders.  Most of the family are now working in the factory making shirts.  There was a factory in Bond Street, which is shown in the valuation records. Robert is a shirt cutter in the factory.

27 Sep 1912 Signing the Ulster Covenant Robert signed the covenant along with his brother William and sister Jennie at Bonds Hill Hall, Waterside.  Address given as 43 Bond Street, Waterside.

Death of his mother on 26 Nov 1920 — Age: 27 Robert is the sole beneficiary of the estate of the late Rebecca Reilly, of 43 Bonds Street, Waterside, Londonderry. "Widow who died 8 June 1920, granted at Londonderry 26 November 1920 to Robert Reilly. Factory worker the son. Effects £97.10.6d".  One of the sisters Martha (Jeanie) was married at this time Anne and John younger siblings were not married.  Robert's name is also on his mother's death certificate as being present at the death.

Emigration  1927 — Age: 34  Robert Reilly on passenger list - Sailing from Londonderry to Montreal in Canada. I havent looked up this record yet as I have to go on to another site.  I know my grandfather's  John's brother went to Canada as he was talked about when I was a child.

Death 10 May 1929— Age: 35  York, Ontario, Canada  He appears to have only been to Canada less than 2 years  before he died  Full Abstract : Reilly Robert of 43 Bond Street Londonderry labourer died 10 May 1929 at Toronto Canada.  I have not got a copy of his death certificate to see if anyone went out with him to Canada.

Will  18 Dec 1929 -  43 Bond Street, In his will he left everything to my grandfather John Reilly, I have a pocket watch that was returned to my grandfather in Londonderry. Administration Londonderry 18 December to John Reilly gardener. Effects £215 14s. 11d Title : Mr Date of Death : 10 May 1929 Surname : Reilly Date of Grant : 18 December 1929 Forename : Robert Reseal Date : Registry : Londonderry.   

It appears from what information I have on Robert that he  did not get married.   My grandfather enlisted with the Iniskillen Fusiliers in 1916 and  was at the Battle of the Somme, his record of being wounded is in the Presbyterian Church In Ireland -- Roll of Honour 1914-1919  1916 — Age: 18 Extract for the Congregation of Derry, Ebrington  Reilly John/ Bond Street/ Private/ Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers/ wounded

There is no mention of either of the two brothers  Robert Reilly or William Montgomery Reilly enlisting in the forces.  I have no information on William execept his birth record.
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   A little extra. 21 Apr 1891 William Reilly married Rebecca Montgomery in Banagher Presbyterian Church, Co. Londonderry.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Death of his mother on 26 Nov 1920 — Age: 27 Robert is the sole beneficiary of the estate of the late Rebecca Reilly, of 43 Bonds Street, Waterside, Londonderry. "Widow who died 8 June 1920, granted at Londonderry 26 November 1920 to Robert Reilly. Factory worker the son. Effects £97.10.6d".  One of the sisters Martha (Jeanie) was married at this time Anne and John younger siblings were not married.  Robert's name is also on his mother's death certificate as being present at the death.

Administration of the Estate of the late Rebecca Reilly, 43 Bonds Street, Waterside, Londonderry, Widow, who died 8 June 1920, granted at Londonderry 26 November 1920 to Robert Reilly, Factory Worker, the son. Effects: £97 10s 6d.

The Will extract makes it clear that there was no Will. Robert Reilly merely applied fir administering the estate according to law (in the absence of a Will).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 23:12 GMT (UK) »
In regards to my earlier post it should have read 43 Bonds Street not 34, which makes more sense, but as you have Robert dying  in Canada in 1929, the inclusion of the name at that address still looks confusing.
Not sure where the Almanac sourced the names but perhaps they were not up to date, or there was a mistake and name  should have been John not Robert 
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 October 14 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Will  18 Dec 1929 -  43 Bond Street, In his will he left everything to my grandfather John Reilly, I have a pocket watch that was returned to my grandfather in Londonderry. Administration Londonderry 18 December to John Reilly gardener. Effects £215 14s. 11d Title : Mr Date of Death : 10 May 1929 Surname : Reilly Date of Grant : 18 December 1929 Forename : Robert Reseal Date : Registry : Londonderry.

Reilly Robert of 43 Bond Street Londonderry labourer died 10 May 1929 at Toronto Canada Administration Londonderry 18 December to John Reilly gardener. Effects £215 14s. 11d.

Again, this is an Administration of the estate (meaning no will was involved).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 November 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
James's half brother and Robert's younger brother. Born on the 22 Mar 1898  at Feeny, Limavady, Northern Ireland, on birth certificate father is William Reilly, dwelling place Knockar, profession is a labourer, mother is Rebecca Reilly, formerly Montgomery. Birth registered by father 12 April 1898.  At the time the 1901 census was taken he was three years old living  at 19 Pine Street with his mother and 4 older brothers and sisters.  In the 1911 census the family had moved to 43 Bond’s Street Waterside. 
I have a small bible inscribed with the words John Reilly with best wishes from the Manse, Strabane, Oct 1916.  John would have been 18 years old.   I was told, he lied about his age when he enlisted and was wounded at the battle of the Somme, where he was buried alive for 3 days, which I assume was why he always suffered from ill health   Therefore  the bible may have been a gift after he returned from the war from the church.  I believe his regiment may have been stationed at Limavady.  If he joined the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in Londonderry in 1914 he would have been 16. so would not have given his correct age when he enlisted. He may have been in one of the following battalions
The Royal Inniskilling  Fusiliers 3rd (Reserve)  Battalion  August 1914 : in Omagh. Moved on mobilisation to Lough Swilly and in September 1914 to Londonderry.
The Royal Inniskilling Fuisiliers 10th (Service) Battalion (Derry)  Formed at Omagh in September 1914 from the Derry Volunteers. Came under orders of 3rd Brigade, Ulster Division and moved to Finner Camp.   
In the Presbyterian Church in Ireland -- Roll of Honour 1914-1919  Extract for the Congregation of Derry, Ebrington Church, there is a John Reilly  of Bond Street, Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers,  wounded.   William Reilly‘s name is on the Roll of Honour, although it just says, Derry Second Church, (may have been John’s older brother)  How many William Reilly’s went to Ebrington Church?   I have looked at web sites for John, to try and find him.  The  proni site for Britisharmysoldiers  and the  site for the Forces war Records, there are numerous John Reilly’s  that enlisted for the Royal Inniskilling Engineers. The following  regiment numbers  for John Reilly were 17693,26758,10456, 6973867,26878, 19577,19429, 28642, 8144,2335 (Medal Cards)awarded to soldiers who served overseas in WW1.
Does anyone know a good site that I can narrow the search for John Reily who returned from the Battle of the Somme.

Thanks for all the information that was sent to me.  It has been very usefull.

Is there a site that I can search the Derry Almanacs.   John Reilly was living at  9 Simpsons Brae Waterside, in 1936, this  address is on his marriage certificate,   his new wife, Mary Kathleen Stewart’s address at the time was Shipquay Street Londonderry.  I wanted to find out if there was other members of the family living at the addresses
Thanks again  Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 November 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Derry Almanacs I don't believe they are online, the entry I got for 1934 was from the local periodical magazine 'Waterside Voices' The central library in Derry may have copies of the Almanacs but I am unsure.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 November 14 15:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a James Reilly Sr. and Jr. mentioned in the Will of Leah Reilly, matron of the Workhouse of Derry found online at the PRONI website.

I am looking for a Patrick Reilly who married Sarah Dundas and had Jane about 1842.  I assume they were married in the 1830s or early 1840s.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.