Author Topic: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW  (Read 33827 times)

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW
« on: Wednesday 01 October 14 00:37 BST (UK) »
I'm particularly looking for more information on William Davis.  I have his marriage certificate and details of his 12 children, however, have no date of birth or date of death for him.  Cemetery searches have provided nothing either!

Most of his children were born at Queanbeyan/Lake George/Captain's Flat.  One child was born at Cooma.  The Cooper's owned Willeroo Station and a property at Cooma at this time so I presume William was working for them as Willeroo is mentioned on on some of the certificates.

His last child was born in 20/11/1890 and the birth was registered by his wife so he was alive earlier that year.  I have a marriage certificate document (handwritten) for one of his daughter's marriages dated  13/5/1896 which shows William as living at Willeroo but then next to his occupation he's shown as "Labourer (dead)".

It seems strange that there are birth records for all of his children and death records for the two infants that died but nothing for him.  I've found one inscription for an unmarked grave at a Queanbeyan cemetery for one of the infants.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have his parents names as per his 1869 NSW marriage cert?   

Do you have his wife's dc?  It should give you her burial details, which can be a clue to finding him.

PS, Welcome to RChat.  It's a great place for help with family history.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have his parents names as per his 1869 NSW marriage cert?   

Do you have his wife's dc?  It should give you her burial details, which can be a clue to finding him.

PS, Welcome to RChat.  It's a great place for help with family history.

Cheers,  JM

To answer your questions JM, the parents' names have been left blank on the marriage certificate and I have his wife's death certificate but she remarried in 1899 and is buried with her second husband so no clue there.

And thank you for the welcome.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 01:32 BST (UK) »
Agh, another of those NSW BDM summary registrations that NSW BDM has not ever reconciled to the Church Registers.   

Here’s a (now very long) thread re those elusive blanks.  Basically, in that thread, I am suggesting you consider contacting the current holder of the original parish register, as the clergy did ask the questions (the age of the bride and the groom, where each was born, who their parents were, including details about their mother's nee names, etc) but the clergy sent only a summary to NSW BDM due to a very long dispute (sorted in about 1895).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

What was the denomination of the clergy on your 1869 mc please.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 02:14 BST (UK) »
It was Church of England.

I'm off to read that other thread now - thank you!

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 02:45 BST (UK) »
That other thread was very interesting!  I've contacted two family historians in the area that hopefully will be able to help.

Thanks again for your replies.  :)

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 14 01:19 BST (UK) »
Just thought I would update here in case anyone has any further tips.  I've heard back from an historian who very kindly (and much appreciated by me) went to the National Library and looked up the marriage details in the Parish register and this what she found:

I checked the parish registers of the Anglican Church Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn, 1839-1921, at the NLA today and found the marriage record for Davis-Holmes on 1 February 1869. Unfortunately, no parents’ names were provided. It is interesting that there were four marriage entries on the page, two of which gave the names of parents and two did not. The two that didn’t were for marriages conducted at the School House, Collector on the same day (1 February 1869).

I have some handwritten marriage documents for other marriages so I think I need to try and get a copy of these.  Would the State Library help me with these, does anyone know?

Offline terryau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 October 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,
Somewhat off topic  but may be of interest :-

26043   Queanbeyan   -   William   Davis   Appointed by the Secretary for Lands on the nomination of the Sheep owners of the district as    Sheep Director      9/02/1869      V. & P. Legislative Assembly Blue Book 1869;  Secretary for Lands. Sheep Directors.

terry

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 October 14 02:31 BST (UK) »
That is interesting Terry.  My William Davis was a Labourer at Willeroo Station at that time - do you think it could be him or would that title have gone to a land owner?