Author Topic: Cook/Ridley marriage  (Read 4202 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cook/Ridley marriage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 October 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
I think the tree owner may have interpreted the place they married (ie) Bedlington as her birthplace

Still a good idea to get the 1913 marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 October 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does look there has been some 'interpretation' :-)

I think I'd first try to find out if they were married in a church in Bedlington (the service record doesn't say if it was a church or a registrar office wedding). A copy of a church marriage register, if it exists, is lots cheaper than a cert and has the original signatures which is far nicer.

If she died in Scotland, the death cert should give name and occupation of her deceased husband plus both parents' names so may be just as good, if not better, to confirm it -  with the usual caveat of 'as far as the informant knew'

Boo

I think the tree owner may have interpreted the place they married (ie) Bedlington as her birthplace

Still a good idea to get the 1913 marriage cert

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 October 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
You are right about her death certificate.  As she died in Scotland both parents names will be shown plus mothers maiden name which is better than just a fathers name on an English marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Sadly the Jane Cook married to Osmond George Ridley is not my 'Jane'

Her mother was Penelope Mack and father John Cook

Back to the drawing board

Thanks everyone for all your help

Rustypup

Offline Brido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 December 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who could identify where Dickinson Crescent actually was /is. On my grandfather's deed poll notification to the London Gazette 16/07/1919, he notes 86 Dickinson Crescent, Gosforth (Newcastle -on-Tyne) as his current address. However try as I might I can't locate it. I have tried google map amongst others and lists of historical changed and redundant street names and can't find it. I notice however, that Tickettyboo has quoted it in the query above - the only time I've had confirmation that it wasn't an address made up by my grandfather!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 December 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who could identify where Dickinson Crescent actually was /is. On my grandfather's deed poll notification to the London Gazette 16/07/1919, he notes 86 Dickinson Crescent, Gosforth (Newcastle -on-Tyne) as his current address. However try as I might I can't locate it. I have tried google map amongst others and lists of historical changed and redundant street names and can't find it. I notice however, that Tickettyboo has quoted it in the query above - the only time I've had confirmation that it wasn't an address made up by my grandfather!

He he, as I am in the frame for it  - though I have no idea where it was, I had a looksee on the NLS maps site

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l5l/

Hopefully, that link will show where it was and the side by side map should give an indication of the current day map.

Do come back if I haven't managed to give the right link, Stan Mapstone is our map guru and I am just a novice!

Boo

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
It certainly appears in the 1911 census. After it in the enumerator's book is Three Mile Bridge, then West Gosforth Railway Station. That would seem to place it in this area https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/424264/569687/10/101861 (you might have to zoom out a little to see the map).
However I've looked at all the maps and can't see it anywhere  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 December 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jen.  Just by chance you have helped me again.  I was wondering which houses were already built in North Avenue off Salters Road in 1911. ;D

Offline Brido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 December 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow
Ticketyboo and JenB -  many many thanks.
Boo, you have done me a double favour! I didn't know that the match facility existed!!

Brilliant

Brido